End of an Era

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please join us in congratulating/mourning Dick Winkles on his retirement from Chrylser. As one of the original fathers of Viper, he has been instrumental to the entire program; he has been responsible for the "heart"of the Viper, being the engine's creator, and he will truly be missed.

I have had the pleasure of knowing Dick for over a decade through various Viper events, and while he may seem quiet, his passion for Viper is without measure.

It is hard to imagine Viper without Dick's involvement, but I'm sure we will still see him at our events :)

Congratulations, and THANK YOU Dick!

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I met Dick at MSR during the development of the ACR-X, and even though he was busy with the car he took the time to talk to me and the assembled faithful about the project. Also at the VOI at COTA he took the time to examine a participants car that had gone down on track. Heck of a nice guy! He'll leave some big shoes to fill.

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Never met Mr Winkles however I do thank him for his work on the most exciting car ever built

Thank You
Jeff

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations Dick. I hope that you will continue to use your talents in the private sector. Over the years, you have been one of the pillars of the Viper and its community. It was always interesting to listen to you speak.

I remember back in 2010 spending the day at Palm Beach International Raceway road course with you, Kumo, and the ACRX development team. On a break from testing, standing on the media platform at the 1/8th mile mark of the drag strip while the top fuel dragsters were testing that day, was an incredible experience as the dargster's accelerated faster than the sound they produced.

Thank you for all that you have done for the Viper and I hope you continue to help the Viper Nation going forward.

Best,

Bob

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While Dick still has a couple days left in his tenure at Chrysler, he will always hold a position of honor and strength with the VCA.

I remember spending a little time with him when he showed up at the Dan Cragin event at Willow Springs. He had just spent the last several weeks riding with Ralph Giles on a road trip to sort out, and do final calibrations on the soon to be released Gen V Viper.

He smiles when he mentioned how he had just finished up a final tweak that would make the Viper exhaust sound better on deceleration. Just wanted to give it a bit more personality that he thought might be appreciated by the owners.

We touched on the possibility of a future supercharged Viper, and he noted that he was well versed on how a supercharger would change work on his beloved V-10. He said nothing about future products, just that he was aware of the technology, and that it was in his thought processes.

He was super approachable, and indeed even eager to speak with current owners to see what their aspirations were for further development of the Viper culture. He said he took great pride in being involved not only with the original Viper development work, but also in bringing that first engine up from making 400 hp to the current 600 level. Moving that up to 640 in the Gen V, along with increased torque, was an accomplishment that was not without it's challenges.

Dick said that he was told that he would know when it was time to retire, and that for him, now is the time.

I am sure that he will be missed at the new Fiat, but suspect that he will continue to keep touch with the Viper Nation. For us...he is Legend.

OP
OP
N

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am pleased to announce that The VCA Board unanimously voted today to add Dick to the "VCA Hall of Fame" which makes him a lifetime member of the VCA (along with many of the other founding fathers of the Viper).

As most of you know, Dick has been a paying member of the VCA for years, and is a current paid up member (and has been on the VCA forums for years), but the least we can do is make it where he doesn't have to pay any longer, as a token of our gratitude for all he has done for the Viper Nation.

Again, thank you Dick!
Greg

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Funny story about our event at Willow Springs a couple of years ago. When Dick and Ralph sat down for dinner with our group of 100 + Viper owners after the track event at Willow Springs, they had brought some stuff for us to raffle, always thinking about helping.

At that time, I was serving as the Track Director for the So Cal Viper Club. After the raffle, I made them honorary members of our So Cal "Sidewinders" track club and awarded both of them special "Sidewinders" hats. As a Sidewinder, we all had special nicknames or "handles" as we called them. When we asked Dick what name he'd like on his Sidewinders hat, he immediately told us that he wanted "600 hp Dick" and then we all went on to have some fun with that nickname.....

A few weeks later while visiting Chrysler I delivered the hat to Dick and he was all smiles.

Dick will be missed. We have invited him to and are hoping he'll join us for future events.

Dan

LadyCruzer

VCA Officer
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Dick did a great presentation about 2 months ago for the FLORIDA VCA at a restaurant in the Sarasota area. So many people came that we had to change our location to a different venue with a larger ,private room ! He had some entertaining stories to tell about his Viper career,
his new Hellcat as well stories of the early days with Bob Lutz and Roy Sjoberg. He is a wonderful friend to the Viper Nation! I know this isn't goodbye - we will continue to stay in touch ! Let' s all celebrate with him on his retirement!

LadyCruzer

VCA Officer
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Wonder if he finally took delivery of his Hellcat that he had on order during the VOI.

Yes, he showed us pictures of his white Hellcat during various stages of its production in Canada. It arrived sometime in December just before a snowstorm hit in the wee hours of the morning. Don't guess the weather has been too cooperative to take it out and drive it yet. But spring is just around the corner!

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the developer of the mighty Viper V10, he has a place in history that will be forever revered by sports car enthusiasts! He's a Titan and a great guy! I enjoyed our car chat at the track and off. Hope to see a Hellcat in person soon, maybe with Dick at the wheel ;)

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You left one heck of a legacy, Dick. Thanks for your contributions!

Bob: sound does not accelerate. It could change velocity depending on the medium disturbed... :)

Congratulations Dick. I hope that you will continue to use your talents in the private sector. Over the years, you have been one of the pillars of the Viper and its community. It was always interesting to listen to you speak.

I remember back in 2010 spending the day at Palm Beach International Raceway road course with you, Kumo, and the ACRX development team. On a break from testing, standing on the media platform at the 1/8th mile mark of the drag strip while the top fuel dragsters were testing that day, was an incredible experience as the dargster's accelerated faster than the sound they produced.

Thank you for all that you have done for the Viper and I hope you continue to help the Viper Nation going forward.

Best,

Bob

WeaponX81

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats to Dick on his retirement! I first met Dick at the board meeting in Daytona in January of 2014, he is an incredibly nice man and his knowledge of the Viper is bar-none! Thanks to all that he has done for the car over his long career!!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats again Dick. Will you be doing any private sector calibration work?

Last edited:

GRANGER73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You just have to love this guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

JETSTAR

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Congratulations Dick
Hopefully you will retire down here in South Florida we would love to have you
Thanks for all you have done
Wayne

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Congratulations Dick--we would not have the Viper as it is if you were not on the original Viper team. We all owe you big time and wish you the best!!--Dave

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
We'd love to have Dick retire down here in Texas too, but somehow I think he'll stay up in the frozen north country.....

We have some pretty good high speed racing here, among other things, like COTA, etc.