VIPER HIGH PERFORMANCE DRIVING SCHOOL AT VIR NARRA brings back Viper Days with Skip T

JETSTAR

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
VIPER DAYS 2.0
Learn how to handle your Viper in a safe and friendly environment.
Join us for Viper Days 2.0, an introduction to high performance
Viper driving at the famed Virginia International Raceway on June
6-7. NARRA is bringing back the legendary Skip Thomas, creator of
Viper Days, the original Viper High Performance Driving School.
VIR is a world-renowned track, located near Danville, VA, and is a
fun, safe, and scenic track with awesome facilities. The magazines
all test at VIR and you'll see why. Experience this world-class
track, situated on hundreds of acres of woods, with log cabin hotel
rooms right along the track!

PROFESSIONAL INSTRUCTION
The formula is simple. Classroom training on how to develop your high
performance driving skills, taught by Skip Thomas himself, combined with ontrack
instruction by professional drivers, so you can hone your skills. All mixed
with the friendship and camaraderie of fellow Viper owners.
Safe distances will be maintained between cars to keep you and your Viper safe.
In between your track sessions, you'll debrief and discuss your experience with
Skip Thomas and other racing professionals, who will provide feedback on your
technique.

PARTY AFTER THE TRACK
Saturday evening, join fellow Viper Days students and NARRA racers for a banquet
at VIR's legendary banquet hall, to honor Skip Thomas and Viper Days. There will
be special guest speakers (TBA), and one lucky student will go home with a brand
new set of Pirelli tires for their snake. (Must be a Viper owner and present to win.)

ALL VIPERS
What makes this driving school special is that this is an all-Viper event. You're surrounded by Vipers and Viper owners, as well as instructors who know how to drive Vipers! This event is open to all Viper owners and their guests. Don't miss this great opportunity to develop your Viper driving skills at a world-class track, all for an affordable price and in a safe environment. Bring a Guest to share in the fun! F&S Photography will be on hand to capture your car on the track. Photos will be available for purchase.
PACKAGES
Choose from a 1-day or 2-day driver package. Drivers can share the fun by purchasing guest packages and banquet spots. Or if you're a Viper owner and want to be part of the fun, but don't want to take your Viper on the track, just sign up as a Guest. We'll even have Viper corral parking for you.

WEEKEND DRIVER (2-days) - $495*
• Entry to VIR
• Viper parking in paddock
• Classroom training with Skip Thomas (mandatory)
• 3 track modules each day with professional instruction
• Parade lap at lunch (passengers allowed)
• Thrill rides with professional drivers (time permitting)
• Viewing of Viper races
• Certificate of completion of High Performance Driving School**
• Saturday night banquet included
** Certificate may entitle you to a future discount on your insurance. Check with your carrier.
1-DAY DRIVER (Saturday only) - $395*
• Entry to VIR
• Viper parking in paddock
• Classroom training with Skip Thomas (mandatory)
• 3 track modules with professional instruction
• Parade lap at lunch (passengers allowed)
• Viewing of Viper races
* Prices increase by $100 after May 1st.
GUEST PACKAGE - $35
• Entry to VIR
• Viper corral parking
• Viewing of Viper races and driving school
• Classroom training with Skip Thomas (optional)
• (Does not include banquet)
SATURDAY NIGHT BANQUET - $50 (Included with Weekend Driver)
• Dinner in VIR's legendary banquet hall
• Special Viper guest speakers including Skip Thomas
• DRIVERS are eligible for drawing for a free set of brand new Pirelli Viper tires. Must be present to win.
BOOK YOUR HOTEL ROOM NOW! Reserve your room at one of the VIR-owned hotels on the grounds for the special rates starting at $140/night. First come, first served, so please make your reservations early. For hotel rooms, call (434) 822-7700 and tell them you are with the Viper Group. Overflow rooms are available in Danville, VA, a short drive from the track (Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn, etc).

SPONSORS
Pirelli Tires
Pirelli is the OE supplier for the Gen V Viper and is generously donating a set of Viper tires as a door prize. (Fits Gen III/IV/V). Must be a registered driver and present at dinner to win. TECH INSPECTIONS
Tech inspections are required to be completed by you or your mechanic prior to arriving at the track. If you do not turn in a signed tech inspection sheet or your vehicle does not pass, you will not be able to run. Click here to download the tech inspection form and USPDE rules:http://narraonline.com/rules-forms-resources. The forms can be found under the US Performance Driver SOLO heading. The rule book includes helpful tips and information to make your event more enjoyable.

REQUIREMENTS
• Helmets (SA 2005 or newer)
• Long sleeve cotton shirts
• Long pants
• Closed-toed shoes
• See USPDE rule book for additional requirements/recommendations

TRACK INSURANCE
Supplemental track insurance is available to all attendees from two sources listed below. While this is a Driver's Education event, some insurance companies will not cover your car if it is on a track. On-track insurance is great for peace of mind, and lets you enjoy the event more knowing your snake is covered.
On Track Insurance: http://www.ontrackinsurance.com/ontrackinsurance/index1.aspx
or call Steven Katz at (845) 638-0505.
Lockton Motorsports provides specific coverage for our 2 day event. You can get pricing by going to their website http://locktonmotorsports.com/event/west-coast-racing-2/5369
or call Fredrick at (913) 652-7529
MORE INFORMATION
This event is managed by NARRA. For more information, visit www.narraonline.com
This event will be held, rain or shine, hot or cold, and guaranteed to ROCK! This is a great opportunity for Viper owners/drivers to learn how to handle their snake. Sign up before May 1st to receive the early-bird discount pricing!

OP
OP
JETSTAR

JETSTAR

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Re: VIPER HIGH PERFORMANCE DRIVING SCHOOL AT VIR NARRA brings back Viper Days with Sk

NARRA HPDE VIR FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

Q: I've done some track events before, but would like to run VIR. Is there an intermediate run group?
A: Skip Thomas will assess your driving skills, and cars will be divided into two groups, beginners and experienced drivers. The track is 3.27 miles long, so there will be no trouble keeping the groups separated. If you are beyond these levels, you may be signed off to drive in the TT group. ($50 transponder rental fee required to upgrade to TT class.)

Q: I'd like my wife/child to attend this school. They've never done a track event before. Is this good for first-timers?
A: Yes! This is the ideal venue for first timers. The track is safe and beginners will be closely supervised by Skip Thomas and other experienced instructors.

Q: Is there a minimum age limit?
A: No, but you must be a licensed driver to sign up as a student.

Q: Can I run on Sunday only? (Even if I pay for both days?)
A: No, because of the training you will be receiving both on and off the track, you must be there on Saturday in order to drive on Sunday. No exceptions to this rule.

Q: Can I share my car with another driver?
A: Yes, but both drivers must pay the full amount. Both drivers will share the same run group, so you will have less on-track time by doing this.

Q: Can I do the school on Saturday and let my guest do it on Sunday?
A: No, the on-track training you are going to receive on Saturday is a prerequisite to driving on Sunday. Only those who register as "Drivers" can drive and you both must attend and drive on Saturday in order for either of you to drive the track on Sunday.

Q: May I bring a different car?
A: Yes, but remember that the purpose of Viper Days is to explore the abilities of your snake. Other cars must be similar GT sports cars.

Q: Do I need a rollbar for my RT/10?
A: No, as long as your head is below the sport bar with your helmet on. If it is above, you will need the top installed.

Q: Do I need a rollbar for my SRT-10 convertible?
A: No, but you must run with your top up.

Q: What's the cancellation policy?
A: You may cancel up until May 1st with a $100 penalty. After May 1st, there is no cancellation due to the arrangements that are made in advance at the track.

Q: When should I plan to arrive?
A: If you are coming from out of the area, it would be wise to arrive on Friday night to be ready for 7AM registration Saturday morning. If you live closer, you should be at the track by 7AM Saturday morning. (Everyone is invited to the cocktail party Friday night).

Q: When will we be finished on Sunday?
A: 6:30PM

Q: I thought NARRA was a race series. Is this a race?
A: While NARRA will be racing during the weekend, this portion is not a race. It's driver education with Viper Days, the pre-eminent Viper driver education series in America. NARRA wants all Viper drivers to be able to handle their cars safely.

Q: May I take passengers?
A: Only during the pace-car parade laps at lunch. # of passengers is limited to the number of seatbelts in the car.

Q: What prep do I need for my car?
A: Please see the tech sheet for details. We recommend fresh brake fluid to prevent boil-overs, fresh brake pads, and fresh tires (less than 3 years old).

Q: What else should I bring?
A: A folding chair, sunscreen, a hat, water, notepad and pen, rain gear, extra change of clothes. Be prepared to spend the day at the track. A more complete list of helpful items can be found in the USPDE Rules on the website.

Q: Can I use Go-pro cameras on/in my car?
A: Yes. Please make sure they are securely attached and tethered to a fixed point on the vehicle in case they separate from the mount.

Q: Is this just an open track day? What can I expect to learn from attending this school?
A: This is not an open track day. You will learn how and why your car handles the way it does and how to control it under various circumstances. You'll learn the basics of racing and defensive driving, and will have multiple sessions on the track each day in which to practice what you've learned. If you're good enough or experienced enough, you'll be able to begin to find your car's limits in a safe environment.

LadyCruzer

VCA Officer
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Re: VIPER HIGH PERFORMANCE DRIVING SCHOOL AT VIR NARRA brings back Viper Days with Sk

I love it that NARRA is bringing Skip back ! Is it just for this one track, or will there be more later this year? I attended Viper Days with Skip several years ago at Sebring and the amount of information in that man's head is phenomenal. He has a way of
keeping it interesting ,fun and all the while you are learning more than you would ever have dreamed. I would highly recommend for anyone with a Viper to get up to VIR and do this! Even if you are experienced and have been before, I guarantee
you'll come away from this having learned something new !

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My VERY first racing experiences were with with Skip at the early Viper Days. This guy is truly inspiring, and a great asset to the Viper. I am SO excited to see him back.

If you can do this at ALL, I would highly recommend it, I honestly think Skip saved my life through going through the Viper Days process early on so I could learn to control the car.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for posting Wayne.

Skip is such a huge asset to the Viper community. Great to see him back at VIR.

OP
OP
JETSTAR

JETSTAR

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

I met Skip at a Viper Days event almost 20 years ago and he is one of the main reasons I bought my first Viper.
He is such a dynamic personality I would love to see him and Ralph in the same room or on the track together :drive: :drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32