Thoughts on painting the underside of front bumper

alduin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a 2013 Viper SRT and the underside of my front bumper is really scrapped up from the previous owner, but you can't tell unless you look under the car.

I've been thinking about getting it repainted which will basically involve painting the entire front bumper.

What are your thoughts on getting the bumper painted?

Is it worth getting the front bumper repainted considering despite how careful I am, it might get scratched up again?

Will it hurt the value of the car to get it repainted?

I'm in the northern suburbs of Chicago, anyone know of a good paint place?

Is there anything I should know about getting it repainted, like do I have to specify that they order the paint from the factory or something?

Should I get a clear bra put on the underside of the bumper as well so that if I do scrape it, it'll scratch the clear bra instead of the paint?

If it helps, I intend on keeping the car for a long time and driving the hell out of it.

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
If you can live with it for the time being then do that, but the next owner will likely be happier if it is professionally re done before you sell it.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I;'ve done many many bumper repaints, kind of necessity if you don't have a clearbra. If it's professionally done, no one will notice... I've seen them run in price from $500-$1000 (stripes are the biggest variable).

To your other point, if you are going to keep the car, it's going to happen again, so I'd just wait a few years, my average is about every 5 years I have to do it...

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a big deal, all Vipers get scrapes. If it bothers you enough, find a local air brush artist to just touch up those areas. Paint doesn't have to be car show quality on the underside of front fascia. in fact, there are quite a few decent air brush artists out there.

OP
OP
A

alduin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok. So it sounds like getting a repaint won't hurt the value at all (even though I intend on keeping the car) and I don't need to make a request for 'factory paint' or something?

mblgjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Realistically they should be able to prep underneath as needed; then color blend only to the lower lip. The entire cover should be removed/scuffed/recleared/buffed. But just the bottom will get color.

Any good shop will just need your paint code.

$600-800 would be pretty normal.

Honestly it happens. And despite your absolute best efforts, it will happen again during your ownership. Id wait until later on to respray it. That way you wont kick yourself so hard the first time you scrape.

OP
OP
A

alduin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah good point. Since it'll happen again, maybe wait until later to repaint it.

But if I get a clear bra put on, won't I want to get it painted before I have the bra put on, so that way I don't have to re-pay for a new front clear bra when I do want to get it painted?

mblgjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. Just be sure to tell the bra installer you want it under there.

Xpel/Suntek self healing films are amazing with the right installer expertise.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should I get a clear bra put on the underside of the bumper as well so that if I do scrape it, it'll scratch the clear bra instead of the paint?

I can't picture any type of clear bra that would stand up to the scrapes that the underside of the bumper would be subject to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62