It was a strange experience.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So as I was driving back on the Sawgrass Expressway today I looked down at the steering wheel and said to myself: "What is that button for?" It was the cruise control. I never bothered to read about it in the owner's manual and despite the fact that I have owned the car since December, 2013, I had never used it. So, with a bit of guilt about doing so, I turned on the cruise control. It is very well located on the steering wheel and easy to use. It felt strange to be able to take my foot off the go pedal in a Viper. But, I have to admit that being able to relax my leg and foot was a plus. For those of us with less than perfect knees, this can provide some relief on longer drives. So while cruise control may be a small betrayal of the original idea of the Viper being a no frills, stripped down performance car, I have changed my mind and welcome it.

Last edited:

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. I wasn't aware the gen V's had cruise control.

I love that fact that my gen III does not.

I got an 09 Z06 last November to have as a second track car. Now that you bring it up, I don't know if it has cruise control or not. :dunno:
I noticed the brakes, diff cooler, trans cooler, dry sump, aluminum frame, other improvements over my previous base Corvette. But sitting here now, I don't know if the car has cruise control. :lmao:

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have an aftermarket wireless cruise control that came with the car…..the best thing ever for highway cruising…mine is gen2

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have long debated about offering an upgrade package for the Gen-2/3 cars to add cruise control; true OEM cruise control. Due to our work on discontinued ECU reproduction, we can do it properly. That said, I just don't know if there is a market for it, as the Viper guys seem stubborn on this topic, ha.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
It certainly has its place, just depends how most people use the car. I think lots of owners use them as weekend toys and don't really do long highway trips with them. Others drive them everywhere. Driving with the club, cruise just wouldn't work as we rarely seem to maintain a constant speed one way or the other. However, when I drove down to Austin on my own to watch the ALMS race a few years ago it would have been a nice break for my legs over the 10 or so hours I was in the car. The mileage and fuel tank size work out pretty well though. They combined to run out roughly every three hours, which was a nice break for me to get up and stretch a bit. I've debated adding an aftermarket cruise a few times, but don't really like the current offerings as much. I'd either like it to look OEM or be completely stealth where you don't know it's even there.

Last edited:

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would use Cruise Control on my GEN 2 if I had it.

Don't give hoot what others think.
It is the primary reason trips beyond 2 hours or so on major highways in the viper **** other than racking up the miles.
Locking my foot in one position for hours is not exactly what I call a high value, high driving skill task.

Now windy roads for a couple hours that is absolute pleasure especially if they have initials like MO, VIR, etc. :D

WeaponX81

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This made me laugh Bob! Whilst it was foreign to use one in a Viper after years of cruising in the 96 GTS, I very much welcomed the cruise control for long trips. Also especially love the fact that GenV's have the "dead pedal". That was only complaint about the 96 GTS I had. For any drive over 2 hours, I set cruise and rest my legs appropriately. No shame in the cars having creature comfort features!

I also really enjoy the fact that when I drive too stupid the traction control kicks in to save me from wrecking a $90k car. No harm in features that protect you. =)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62