What are the best tires to purchase? Run-flats / non run-flats??

Morketh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I read several threads which were quite old and no one really came to a consensus on what the best tire was, but it seems a lot choose the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2.
I also read Yellow32's thread about tire pressure for run flats and a few people were complaining about run-flats so curious if I should not get them. I honestly have never been a fan of them in any of my other vehicles. If I get a flat, I will park the car and get it towed or go get a new tire put on the wheel so if non-run flats are the way to go because they are better and safer then I am all for it.
From what I gathered from that post I will be running at 32-34 PSI all around.

I will be driving on the street only, in Houston, TX so it is almost always hot here.

Front: Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 - 275/35-18 95Y -- $488.00 (found on VPA)
Same tire HERE at tire rack for $274.98. Why the huge difference in price????

Rear: Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 - 345/30ZR19 105Y -- $500.00 (found on VPA)
I'm sure tire rack has the rear as well, but it wouldn't allow me to choose it for some reason.

Those are the tires that are on my 2006 currently so I was planning to get them again unless there is some magnificently better/safer tire. Seems a lot choose the PS2 though.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The Pilot Super Sport is another great tire that is more or less a replacement for the PS2. I've had them on my 04 for a few years now and they are really good for regular driving. They work awesome in the rain if you get caught and keep the car nice and planted, even at highway speeds. I've never driven PS2's myself, but most of what I've heard is that the Super Sport is just as much tire, if not a little more.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The newer Michelin Super Sports are the way to go for the street/highway.
Have talked to a lot of people that have them, and never a bad review. Everybody thinks they're great.
Updated construction and tread compound from the PS2. New and improved/latest and greatest thing since sliced bread.

I have never tried them because I don't use street tires anymore.
If I did........the Super Sports would be what I would choose.

I used to run the Nitto Invo. Went through several sets of them. Best tire you can buy...............for the price.
Then I went through about 4 sets of the Kumho XS. I thought those were awesome, until they discontinued the rear size.
Went to the Hoosier R6..........and now the new R7.

Gen III and later Viper tire choices are limited due to the rear size. Basically the Michelin offerings, Nitto, Hoosier, and Toyo R888 which is another track tire.

Do not run track tires on the street only. They will sandblast the car. My paint is destroyed. (I don't have a truck and trailer so I drive to and from the track) The other thing is that track tire handling characteristics on public roads ****.

Hope this helps in your quest for new rubber.

OP
OP
M

Morketh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He does have a deal going on the Michelins but doesn't look like it beats Tirerack unfortunately

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What ever you do don't used pirellis they are junk, Michellins super sports is the way to go I got discount tire to do them for 1450 out the door.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Cubican, totally disagree with you and you obviously have not been on a set of PZeroes that are standard on a Gen V. 15 of us hammered a set at the Viper Rendezvous last year and they not only never wavered the entire day, we did not use them up and they stayed consistent for all the drivers , at speed , during each session. Tons of the guys running One Lap ran them and with Michelin abandoning Vipers, Pirelli also carries a full range of rubber to fit our cars. Other option is the Corsas, but for most drivers the P Zero is great. Pretty sure Jon has a set of them also , and they were designed specifically for the car.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trust me I have used them one of my side walls delaminated , had to replace it at $1000 for one tyre ,then I had to replace one sensor and the sidewall ripped again another $1000 then I only got 5k out of them with the tread rating of 220. I will never buy another Pirelli tyre. The michelling super sports have about 25k on them and they still look and feel great and that including 2 track days at COTA. Also if the pirellis where so good why is the the ACR has kumhos instead of pirellis?.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
One tire does not make a brand worthless , and think how folks felt with the Michelin PS2s that autocrossed them and got the groove of doom. We ran all day long on a set of P Zeroes, did not wear them out and had at least 15 different drivers using them. Sorry to hear you had an issue, but can give you examples with many different tires having similar problems and hard to tell if yours was caused from something else. Both are good choices , but have had concerns with many tires. Just have run tons of different tires and ( sponsored by three Brands at different times - not Michelin or Pirelli ) seen issues certain folks had and others did not. Keep in mind ,your same rationale ( with Kumho) could be used that if Michelin was so good why did they go to Pirelli?? Can't blame you for being frustrated, but there are concerns out there often with different tires over the years -- have been on the track with both Super Sports and Pirellis and find them both to be superior to some of their own tires from past years.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh