K&N 69 Series Typhoon Air Box/Filter... Any Issues?

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looking to do something different for the air intake on my '08 SRT. I see a lot of the K&N 69 series Typhoon system (69-2527TTR) for sale out there
You must be registered for see images attach
. But I don't see a lot of reviews other than some sporadic concerns like:
1. Any concern with sealing issues with the box to hood?
2. Is there any more of a concern of water ingestion in a heavy down pour over the stock box?
3. Any concern over oil used in the filter messing up any sensors?

I've done a search here but I'm not turning up much on this.
Thanks for any info!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Early reports said that the stock air filter setup works well, and that aftermarket filters are not much, if any improvements.

On the other hand, the K&N testing shows increased power, and the filter/metal tubes look fantastic, and really dresses up the engine compartment.

Have not heard of any problems with the cone filters, however some say the drop in filters will not handle the vacuum pressure and can deform under heavy acceleration.

Users are warned not to over oil the filters, and the excess oil can coat the sensors. Most say properly oiled cone filters are no problem.

OP
OP
C

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Paul. After researching more, it doesn't look like it's a favored mod for various reasons. Including some claiming their performance actually decreased.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't use it even if they paid me. It looks nice, but that's about the only positive thing I can say about it.

The factory air box seals to the hood, the K&N does not. Others that have tried the K&N have noted increased IATs when compared to the factory configuration at speed...that's reason enough to not like it.

For those that saw a power increase: was the hood opened or closed on the dyno? Any testing that is done would need to be done in the proper configuration (i.e. how it is driven on the street).

cigar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JFYI, I bought a K&N for my Magnacharged Hummer H2 and returned it because it wouldn't fit the supercharged car without major modifications, I then bought the similar Airraid system and it works great, the car has never been on a dyno but it seems like there is more power and it definitely sounds a lot better, like you I also was concerned about the seal to the hood but it's a non-issue. I checked their site and see they don't make one for any model Viper but it looks like the K&N so if K&N makes one I'd go for it. When you step on it the supercharger sounds like a jet plane taking off, my wife has repeatedly said: "Don't do that", once I asked: "Why?", she said: "Because it scares women, that's why." Reason enough to put one on right there.

OP
OP
C

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To be honest, one of the main reasons I was considering this intake was because of the tubes! I wanted to get away from the accordion factory tubes and go with metal smooth tubes so I could get them stripped and polished along with my intake manifold and plenum. But 550 bucks is a lot of money just to get the "look" but I was hoping to gain a little performance to justify the spend. Nuts, I know.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62