Brake Master Cylinder

HotRodMojo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a ’97 GTS that has a master cylinder bypassing, so I need to replace it. Though the master cylinder looks like nothing special,
I do have a big brake kit installed made by Brembo. This car is a recent purchase and I do not have the history, but the pads and rotors look good.
The dealership wants around $238 for a master cylinder. I have found some online such as Raybestos professional grade master cylinders for around $50.
So I was thinking about replacing it myself and save some cash. The fluid in the cylinder is super clean so I imagine it has been flushed recently.
The cap says use DOT 3 so I topped it off before the bypass issue.

Question is; is there anything important to look for when buying aftermarket master cylinders for Vipers? Being an ex-mechanic, most cars it doesn’t matter,
but this being a Viper and having the Brembo brake kit, I am not so sure. Another question is should I or can I switch to DOT 4?
This will be mostly driven on roads, but it may see some track time in the future. I have heard DOT 4 can be used with DOT 3,
but I was thinking about flushing it all. I would have to flush it through the wheels though since my car is lowered and my jack will not fit under.
I was thinking just putting a tube on the bleeder and either gravity bleed or using a hand pump. If I do flush, How much brake fluid do you think I need?

’97 GTS Venom 650R

xrealm20

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good to know - also glad to connect w/ another Houstonian Viper owner

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4