tires for a 1994 RT/10

bob spier

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not been successful in finding a thread that addresses this question but will gladly accept direction if I have missed this question and answer. I recently purchased the '94 RT/10 with 13,00 miles and the original tires. I want to replace these old tires to be safe and the Michelin Pilot Sport tires that fit the car are not in production with no date set by the company. I'm hoping someone has had success finding another street tire (of a slightly different size I assume) that will work on the stock rims. I would prefer to stay with the 17" stock wheels but will go to an 18" wheel if all else fails. The car is sitting until I can replace these old tires (even tho they appear to look fine). A big Thank You in advance for anyone that can enlighten this rookie Viper owner. Best Wishes and Sincerely, bob spier salinas CA

OP
OP
B

bob spier

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Dan!
May I ask how you found out that the tires for a '94 (Gen 1) Viper will be available in October? And are we speaking about Michelin tires? Thank You!

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
My mom just had the same issue with her 94. They don't make the Pilot Sports anymore, but they do make the Pilot Sport 2 (PS2) in gen 1 sizes, or at least they did earlier this year as we just put on a new set before a track day in early June. If you go to TireRack/Discount Tire/etc. and look up the car it can give you an idea of what is out there that might fit. After that you can shop around for prices.

OP
OP
B

bob spier

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My mom just had the same issue with her 94. They don't make the Pilot Sports anymore, but they do make the Pilot Sport 2 (PS2) in gen 1 sizes, or at least they did earlier this year as we just put on a new set before a track day in early June. If you go to TireRack/Discount Tire/etc. and look up the car it can give you an idea of what is out there that might fit. After that you can shop around for prices.
Thanks for your response! I have not tried to find Pilot Sport 2. When I have looked for tires by putting in the car so far all that comes up is the Pilot Sport. I will try again. Track Day? Wow. I have only driven my Gen 1 a few miles (again concerned about the age of the tires) I don't know if I could ever do a track day in this monster! So much to handle! And it seems to WANT to go fast...so much more of a handful than my mid year Corvette.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My contact at Tirerack indicated they would be available in October.

OP
OP
B

bob spier

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My contact at Tirerack indicated they would be available in October.
I wonder if Tire Rack wil get the tires before local tire companies? Do you have someone at Tire Rack you'd recommend? I placed my order at "America's Tire" - mostly because they have the nicest/cleanest shop in my area. In any case Great News!

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Thanks for your response! I have not tried to find Pilot Sport 2. When I have looked for tires by putting in the car so far all that comes up is the Pilot Sport. I will try again. Track Day? Wow. I have only driven my Gen 1 a few miles (again concerned about the age of the tires) I don't know if I could ever do a track day in this monster! So much to handle! And it seems to WANT to go fast...so much more of a handful than my mid year Corvette.

It was a really fun weekend. I drive a 2004, but took my mom's 94 out for a few laps when the had open track and it was surprisingly not that different. Sure, the new car had some nice advancements in power and braking, but they both behaved fairly similarly to me and I actually preferred the brake pedal feel on the 94. I don't think I cared much for the pads on my 04 as they seemed to trigger the ABS a little too easily. Drove an 03 with factory Brembo pads and it was awesome and what I wish I would have had.

This is what I was seeing when looking up tires on TireRack at least: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...arRatio=35&rearDiameter=17&rearSortCode=51400

Technically I guess they call them the Pilot Sport PS2 (which I thought stood for "Pilot Sport 2"), so maybe that's what you're seeing and they're just out of stock.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Call Luke Pavlik at Tire Rack --- he is at extention 4362 . He has been helping a lot of us for years and pretty sure that is who Dan recommended also. Leave him a message if he is busy , he will get back with you.

OP
OP
B

bob spier

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a really fun weekend. I drive a 2004, but took my mom's 94 out for a few laps when the had open track and it was surprisingly not that different. Sure, the new car had some nice advancements in power and braking, but they both behaved fairly similarly to me and I actually preferred the brake pedal feel on the 94. I don't think I cared much for the pads on my 04 as they seemed to trigger the ABS a little too easily. Drove an 03 with factory Brembo pads and it was awesome and what I wish I would have had.

This is what I was seeing when looking up tires on TireRack at least: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...arRatio=35&rearDiameter=17&rearSortCode=51400

Technically I guess they call them the Pilot Sport PS2 (which I thought stood for "Pilot Sport 2"), so maybe that's what you're seeing and they're just out of stock.
Thank you again! I am beginning to see that Viper people are a special bunch - good to know that I can look forward to the knowledge and experience of a friendly group of guys (and gals too I gather). ;0)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R