What do you think of this short throw shift for 2006?

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't speak for the Hurst, but I just installed the B&M short throw and First Strike knob in mine. Love it!! If the Hurst is anywhere near comparable to the B&M then you will be happy. The First Strike feels good, but I think it would have been better with the rubberized coating instead of the smooth plastic feel it has, but is still very comfortable. There is also a lower profile bezel ring you can buy (on the 2nd link you provided above, further down the page) if you find the shifter is too short and you start hitting your knuckles. But I didn't need it with the B&M.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone used the Hurst one and have an opinion of it?

I've had both the B&M and the Hurst. They both had about the same feel, as I remember it. The Hurst was a little more difficult install because the bent shift rod comes VERY close to the underside of the ashtray surround. I liked the B&M better because one could change the shifter shaft to accommodate varied knob heights. I don't think that the first strike knob on top of the Hurst would be at the height most people want. The design of the IPSCO shifter appears very similar to the B&M. I have dealt with Mark at IPSCO with him providing after-sale support on another product, and he is EXCELLENT.

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the response man!

You get this exact one for $319? http://www.viperpartsrack.com/short-throw-shifter

That's the one...but I found a much sweeter deal from an individual for a new-in-box unit he never installed. I have read the IPSCO is the one to go with, but I couldn't pass up the deal I got. If you search around you will find many different opinions. My advice is listen to the guys who have installed the ones they are commenting on. I think just about anything is better than stock though.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There is not a better short throw shifter on the market than the one built by George Ciamillo at MGW LTD. Pretty sure Mark J. has some in stock, but ask anyone who has one and they are far superior to Hurst or others. The shift knobs shown are MGW ones, and likely that is the only source to get the knobs now, as MGW is no longer carrying them. The First Strike knob is fantastic, had one on my past two cars and they have a great feel for those who go to the track.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
MGW has built shifters and other items for Vipers since the 90s. Their short throw shifter is the acknowledged King for Mustangs and Corvettes also. Anyone who has the MT82 in a Mustang has jumped on the MGW unit as it dramatically changes what many consider a poorly designed shift linkage on the newer Stangs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper