Need a Track Tire Upgrade

JasonSSG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im looking at buying a pair of GEN 5 Wheels and having them shod with some good track tires that are still DOT legal. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
R888's are good track tires that aren't an issue on the street.
I have them on my Z06. This cars gets double duty, street and track.
My Viper is a dedicated track car now. Hoosier R7's on it full time.
I don't recommend Hoosier's for the street. construction is too light and they will destroy your paint.

The R888's have proven to be very durable, long lasting (for a track tire), and drive reasonably well. They are noisy on the hiway though. Sounds like a wheel bearing is going out at times.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not a fan of the R888s and would suggest you get in touch with Jon B. and get a set of Corsas --- will shed water 100 times better than the R888s, are not anywhere near as noisy, and you will be getting 355s for the rear and 295s for the front. Believe he has them for 1400+ and shipping. Allan is right about the Hoosiers being quick , but they are not really something you would want to drive on all the time.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.................Lots of us Colorado track rats use and love the R888's.
See lots of cars with them at PCA events, couple of my Mustang track buddies are happy with them, The Lotus guys love them.

I am not planning to try them on the Viper as I'm spoiled by the Hoosiers on it. But if I were looking for a double duty tire and drove a reasonable amount of street miles, I'd use the R888's.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The question we should have asked , since you are getting a second set of rims, is are you getting Gen V rims from a regular Gen V or the ACR rim? ACR rims you gotta go with the new Kumhos. If you go Street/Track ( regular rims ) , check out how TireRack ranks the Pirelli Corsa ---- just believe it is a better tire for you if driving to events and you are concerned about rain, noise, and ride. Am somewhat biased as the R888 was the Spec Tire for World Challenge and the Spec Miata series years back and they were cancelled after one year due to driver dislike -- and this is from a guy who was sponsored by a Toyo Dealer for 4 years when I was running Spec Miata.

Last edited:

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the R888 is very good on BMW and Porsche but never tried it on Viper.
Be careful because the operating temperature of the R888 could be perfect for the profile of a BMW or Porsche but not for a Viper.

I personally loved the PS2 but they are gone. I don't like racing tires as they are ******* the car.

R888 is my preferred tired on BMW but I would rather go with Corsa or Kumho on Viper.

PSS has a vide operating temperature but in the cold it doesn't keep easily it operating temperature.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper