Generation 3 Starter power and engine ground wires?

Scoders1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently purchased a 2003 Viper for a project car. Pulled the engine. (I have to say out of all the engines I've pulled, this was by far the easiest)
Re-installing the engine was a breeze except for one problem. (Maybe 2)

The last thing I did was located the main starter wire on the drivers side engine compartment and hooked it up to the starter. (easy to find since it was large diameter and had a red end cap).

When I went to looked to hook up the engine ground wire. This is where the problem started.

I found what looked to be the the main engine ground wire (Same diameter as the main power wire with a crimped terminal eyelet end) but something didn't feel right about it because it appeared to go into a wire harness that traveled to the front of the car so I went to the shop manual.

This confused things even more..

The shop manual shows 2 large diameter wires on the main starter terminal and it does not show a heavy gauge ground wire on the engine.....

Question: Are there 2 large diameter wires going to the starter terminal? If so, where is the main engine ground wire located?

Thanks,
Scott

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The main Power wire from the battery runs the length of the car inside the harness. It hooks to the starter. Then you have another Hot wire that hooks to the starter(same post) then it goes up to the PDC.The engine ground wire is on the passenger side of the block. It bolts to one of the engine mount bolts and attaches to a stud on the inside of the frame rail near the engine mount.

OP
OP
S

Scoders1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Tom,

Now I feel better. Found the ground and now the secondary starter terminal wire makes sense. Thanks for your help!!!!!