Hennessey 650 or 700R upgrades

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience/ advice/complaints on either of these kits? Is it worth the money or is there other upgrades that are better for less?

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Lot of history with the Viper and John. You doing the work yourself?

OP
OP
C

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I would TRY to do the work myself. But I have good ties with the Viper tech at the local dealership. He replaced my trans and also did some work to my '08 Dodge Ram 3500. If I run into hurdles I have backup.

I searched Google and this site and read all I could. I was hoping for some personal experience from people on here so I would know I was getting real responses and not loaded reviews from a retailer.

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Yes, I would TRY to do the work myself. But I have good ties with the Viper tech at the local dealership. He replaced my trans and also did some work to my '08 Dodge Ram 3500. If I run into hurdles I have backup.

I searched Google and this site and read all I could. I was hoping for some personal experience from people on here so I would know I was getting real responses and not loaded reviews from a retailer.

Sounds like you have it covered.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I picked up a wrecked 2009 that had the Hennessey 700 package on it. Not sure if/when Hennessey cleaned up their act as most of the Viper problems seemed to have been a long time ago. It was blatant enough so that most will never forgive/forget - but I got a great deal and it runs very strong. I'm up to about 27k miles (had 7 when I picked it up). Headers/exhaust sound great and it made some decent power - 613/580 wheels, 705/637 engine. Doesn't seem like they are still doing very much with the Viper - so if I was shopping new, I might look elsewhere.
You must be registered for see images attach

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up a wrecked 2009 that had the Hennessey 700 package on it. Not sure if/when Hennessey cleaned up their act as most of the Viper problems seemed to have been a long time ago. It was blatant enough so that most will never forgive/forget - but I got a great deal and it runs very strong. I'm up to about 27k miles (had 7 when I picked it up). Headers/exhaust sound great and it made some decent power - 613/580 wheels, 705/637 engine. Doesn't seem like they are still doing very much with the Viper - so if I was shopping new, I might look elsewhere.
Where did you get that dyno report? Just curious. Being it was a salvage and all.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Seriously broom? It's a crazy new technology called a dyno. You can google it to learn more. Newbie :rolleyes:
NOT curious. My advice, post less, read more.

PS - here's a picture of what a Gen 4 Hennessey Viper engine looks like.

Last edited:

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe she misunderstood you. Pretty sure she thought it came with the Hennessy salvage **** you drive around.

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously broom? It's a crazy new technology called a dyno. You can google it to learn more. Newbie :rolleyes:

You know Rocket, I had know Idea that I threatened you so. Aww that's so sweet. You are not the first insecure person I've encountered in my life. I know very well
What a dyno is how it's used and what a dyno report is. I've had many things tweaked and put on a dyno. You are correct I'm a newbie. I know about Hennessey
And what they are capable of. Good for you I guess if you managed to profit off of someone else's misfortune. I bet your tail end stays chapped a lot because
From what I've read from some of your posts, you always have your ******* in a bunch. Chill and enjoy your salvaged vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would bet a C note that Rocket turned that dyno sheet into huge placard that he displays on an easel in front of his car at car shows....

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I'll take that bet!

Being october and ****** cancer awareness month, You can donate that c-note to the American Cancer Society. I'll even match that donation so that we could say that we actually agreed on something Free!

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Better yet, you probably have a placard that has a picture of Jon Hennessy on it with his bio written below it displayed next to your car. And a tiny toy Viper spinning around in the engine bay.....

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Better yet, you probably have a placard that has a picture of Jon Hennessy on it with his bio written below it displayed next to your car. And a tiny toy Viper spinning around in the engine bay.....

I love it! Free that is awesome :2tu::D

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score

PS - here's a picture of what a Gen 4 Hennessey Viper engine looks like.

Is that you perched up in that Viper, or a large Iguana?

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Powered by Hennessy". Must have that $15k air intake.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Let's recap. You have a salvaged Viper, "Powered by Hennessy", and the ass end is from Vipair. Hahahahaaaa....wow. All you need to complete that "storied" car is a coil over kit from RSI. You need to read more and post nothing.

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
OK, lets get back on topic. If you want a discussion with Rocket, please start a new thread.

Thanks

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score

OP
OP
C

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay then....that was interesting. :eater: I am assuming that I am also a newbie by definition, as I have only owned my car for about 8 months and have never dealt with anything in the Viper world before now. Google search is what led me to the Hennessey website and the creation of this post to begin with based on curiosity of the product without knowledge of it. I have always received help from members, regardless of how stupid I sounded. But lately, that seems to have faded. This thread is a perfect example. Regardless, I will continue to ask 'newbie' questions until I am knowledgable enough to graduate. Thank you to those that remain sincere and professional.

Also, thanks for the responses from the ones that PM'd me. I will follow up on each of them.

Broom - keep your chin up. Don't let them get to you.

ViperJeff - I am not sure if I would have it all covered or not. I was just saying I am mechanically capable, have the tools and shop, and know a Viper tech personally that should be able to help if needed. I love working on stuff that is challenging. But I am also not so macho that I won't ask for help. Thanks for your willingness to offer assistance. It's alway's appreciated.

Free - Thank you for the heads up about the history of Hennessey. I will leave them alone. I just didn't know any better. I always appreciate your feedback.

Rocket - thank you for your first post. That is exactly the feedback I was looking for. But, I will say it if nobody else will...your attack on Broom was totally uncalled for. You shouldn't discourage people on here by attacking them like you did her. You have good knowledge and feedback, but need to calm it down a little. We are just trying to learn about the cars. We will ask 'newbie' questions from time to time. If we can't do that then we will never learn. And the "read more post less" chant doesn't solve our need for specific answers sometimes. I respect your advice, but you should utilize it for the good of our members more often by keeping it positive. I know you got it in you somewhere...

Thanks,

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience/ advice/complaints on either of these kits? Is it worth the money or is there other upgrades that are better for less?

Not sure if Hennessy sells the parts, I think it's a turn key build. There are less costly ways to get a G3 to 650 flywheel HP. Greg Good heads or the G4 upgrade heads, plus cam, headers/exhaust and roller rockers. Parts will run you about $10-12k.

OP
OP
C

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I initially called Hennessey before posting here and got the typical "oh yeah, our stuff is better than others" response. He did say the parts were readily designed and available for Gen4 and 5 cars, but would fit the Gen 3 if I wanted to accept a "no warranty" purchase. (yeah...he said that). He also said the parts could be shipped to me for install if I wanted to do it myself. They are packaged in shrink and numbered to make it a DIY install. I read their comments section but wasn't convinced it wasn't just them loading the positive reviews. If you don't know...you don't know. That's why I asked on here.

So what I am hearing is they have a bad rep from either poor CS or parts reliability? It surprises me to hear that as they have always been a big name brand in the industry. I'm gonna ask another stupid question - Are they the same as the Hennessey Venom GT? The controversial 'world's fastest car'.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave