2016 or 2017?

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We all know that the Viper is coming to the end of its production life. I am confused as to when that will happen. Will dodge produce a 2017 model year car and than that will end the production or is 2016 the end of production for the Viper?

Thanks.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the more accurate question is whether the 2017 or 2018 model will be the last one. The 2017 model will be out by next next summer if the usual schedule is followed. So a 2018 model in 2017 is certainly possible.

99sh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did we ever hear whether the contract was indeed signed to close the plant?

Also, is everyone assuming that a plant shutdown would also discontinue the production of the viper vs transferring build to another facility?

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
I'll quote MoparMap on the contract

Alright everyone, I'm tired of all the doom and gloom. Everyone is singing the funeral dirge for the Viper before it's even gone. Aren't we supposed to be its strongest supporters? Didn't you buy your car or admire them because you love them? Why are you so ready to roll over and give up? Why does everyone always think the worst? Let's set a few things straight. The articles coming out saying the Viper is officially dead? They're wrong and blown out of proportion. What has happened is the UAW ratified a contract with a tiny section that talked about production at the Conner Avenue plant. What did it actually say? Read below:

"Current product build out in 2017. No future product has yet been identified beyond the product lifecycle"

What does this actually mean? It means we are guaranteed two more years of one of the coolest cars around. Real, brutal, aggressive V10 power with tires as wide as a bus. What else does it mean? To me it sounds like the car is due for a refresh/overhaul post-2017. Look at the wording? Does it say the Viper is unequivocally dead, never to be replaced? No. It says "current production will end in 2017". The next part is the important bit. "No future product has yet been identified beyond the product lifecycle. This can mean a couple things. One is that they are still working on some new model to be built at the plant. Maybe there will have to be a one or two year gap if they are doing a significant redesign. Maybe they're still working on something and have to make sure it will pass emissions/performance requirements. Maybe they are moving the production to a different plant. Regardless, these two tiny lines in a contract don't say the Viper is gone for good. All they state is that the current iteration is slated for something to happen in 2017. They could very well extend production as well, it's not like this contract forbids them.

flatblack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well that is relieving to read! I am currently working my way up to a new Gen V and was afriad I might have to speed up the pace a bit for this to happen.

adprokid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So after renewing the contracts, The facelifted /refreshed Viper should appear as a 2017 model or 2018 ?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper