Ignition switch short

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lately I have been noticing when I go to start the car my ignition switch key has to be jiggled before the start button works. When you turn the key to the 2nd position (ON) you can see the gauges clicking on and off as you twist the key and you have to get all of them to stay on before it will let it start. This is usually only when starting for the first time of the day. After that it seems to work okay. It's like the switch is getting sloppy in the contacts. I have had it cause issues while driving at least once. I was in town and approaching a traffic light. As I slowed down the car started bucking and the rpm's were all over the place. I wiggled the key and it smoothed out and drove fine.

Is this a known issue? Am I getting ready to buy a new switch? Something else possibly going out and causing it???

Thanks,

OP
OP
C

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I called the dealership to see if they could get one. There were three options. A lock kit, a steering column switch, and a dashboard switch (the Start button). She said the switch was not associated with the ignition. It was a column mounted electrical switch and not part of what the key goes into. So what exactly would I need? I'm assuming the lock kit is the tumbler portion. What would the switch itself be called that holds the lock kit? I told her I needed the ignition switch, but she kept going back to the column switch. I was on the phone so I couldn't see the diagram she pulled up. Anybody know the official name of the part I need? I hate to sound so stupid but I know what I need...I just don't know what Dodge calls it. I don't want to order the wrong part.

ViperDad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd check with local parts stores for the switch. Unlikely that they have a custom one for just the viper. My 2010 jeep accepts the viper key until you try and turn it; have made that mistake a few times. I'm betting it runs across the Chrysler lines and parts stores prices are a bit better than dealer. Rock auto eg:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=932930&cc=1432530&jnid=478&jpid=0

Last edited:

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I called the dealership to see if they could get one. There were three options. A lock kit, a steering column switch, and a dashboard switch (the Start button). She said the switch was not associated with the ignition. It was a column mounted electrical switch and not part of what the key goes into. So what exactly would I need? I'm assuming the lock kit is the tumbler portion. What would the switch itself be called that holds the lock kit? I told her I needed the ignition switch, but she kept going back to the column switch. I was on the phone so I couldn't see the diagram she pulled up. Anybody know the official name of the part I need? I hate to sound so stupid but I know what I need...I just don't know what Dodge calls it. I don't want to order the wrong part.
You need the electrical switch in the column............no need to mess with the key/lock cylinder.
The button is for the start circuit only, the part you need is for the run circuit.

OP
OP
C

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok. I will go back to her Monday. I told her that but she said the switch she shows mounts inside the steering column and didnt appear to be part of the key switch. Like a separate box or something. I will go look at her diagram and point it out. Thanks.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok. I will go back to her Monday. I told her that but she said the switch she shows mounts inside the steering column and didnt appear to be part of the key switch. Like a separate box or something. I will go look at her diagram and point it out. Thanks.

Roe Racing has the parts lists posted online : http://www.roeracing.com/productcart/pc/Original-Equipment-Parts-d7.htm

I think that you are probably looking for 04685719AC, SWITCH, Ignition, Steering Column .
That appears to be a separate assembly that the ignition key lock cylinder mates to.

OP
OP
C

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks! So the switch IS completely separate from the lock assembly??? I would have thought the lock MATED to the switch...oh well. I will order it Monday. I appreciate the info!

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks! So the switch IS completely separate from the lock assembly??? I would have thought the lock MATED to the switch...oh well. I will order it Monday. I appreciate the info!
Perhaps my wording was not quite clear. I believe that the two separate parts, the switch and the lock cylinder, mate together when mounted in the column.

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Hopefully when you get the column all apart you find that something just needs to be tightened down

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235