Viper Trivia

OP
OP
V

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
I had thought the early engines were worked on by Mercury Marine at one point. Maybe that was the development or just part of the pieces and not the assembly though.

The answer was based on Research provided by Jay. I didn't see anything in his notes where the production motors were built by Mercury Marine. If you have information regarding this, I would love to read it

OP
OP
V

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Viper Trivia Question #4

For the 92-03 Viper MY. What was the reason for the "SR" body code?
Hope the question is worded correctly

GRANGER73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mercury Marine built the Corvette ZR-1 engines in the early 90's.

OP
OP
V

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Didn't expect to see you till after the new year. You seem to be busier than most

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I have the answer. Is it because the frames were steel and the body panels were resin fiberglass

OP
OP
V

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
I think I have the answer. Is it because the frames were steel and the body panels were resin fiberglass

hint:More of a story and not about what was used

You will love the answer, will post it tonight

OP
OP
V

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
From histories past

At chrysler when a new car was born, it's body code came from some kind of a corporate code book. Well we didn't know anything about that kind of stuff on the Viper team, we just did what made sense and had some fun with it. A number of us on the team were jet freaks as well as car freaks and our favorite jet was the Blackbird recon jet developed by the Lockheed skunkworks under the direction of the famous kelly Johnson. Well when we needed a body code, we said let's use SR in honor of our favorite jet. Afterall, we were building the world's most outrageous car, why not use the designation of the world's most outrageous jet? as it was, our team was patterned after Kelly's skunkworks and we used alot of his rules when we first got going.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^^whats funny is the SR means "strategic reconnaissance" and has no meaning when comparing a complicated and sophisticated jet to a simplistic kit carrish pushrod V-10 that was made with quite a few mini van parts....

OP
OP
V

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
^^^whats funny is the SR means "strategic reconnaissance" and has no meaning when comparing a complicated and sophisticated jet to a simplistic kit carrish pushrod V-10 that was made with quite a few mini van parts....

Alrighty then........

I'm out

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The answer was based on Research provided by Jay. I didn't see anything in his notes where the production motors were built by Mercury Marine. If you have information regarding this, I would love to read it

It's more just hearsay from people I've talked to. I think the heads might have been worked on there or something, but not whole engines. A guy at work used to work for Ingersoll Rand and they helped with some early Viper production. He said they parked one of the first ones outside of the IR building for a while in thanks for their help. While on the topic of trivia I also heard they had a flat plane crank prototype engine at one point as well from someone who was on the NVH team. Just various tidbits you hear over the years. Never sure what is true or not, but some of the sources were closer to production than others.

OP
OP
V

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
I didn't do any research last night for obvious reasons. That and I was working on plaque proofs. I'll try and have one sometime today

VPRPWRD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't do any research last night for obvious reasons. That and I was working on plaque proofs. I'll try and have one sometime today

Plaque proofs? Probably for some bum who buys way too many Ram SRT-10s. He can wait, we need trivia to get through the day!

OP
OP
V

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Next Viper Triva Question

Bob Lutz was busted for doing 127 in a 55 back in 1990

Can you tell me what state that happened in

Bonus question what Viper (ID)was he driving

As you can tell by the day, it was pre production