New Viper owner: 2006 SRT-10 Coupe...lifter noise???

jimbalayajag

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very excited to be here, I have saved/shopped for my first Viper for years, it was a dream of my father and I, he passed in April, so
I have a picture of him on the glove compartment.............Here is my question, when my broker picked the car up, HE couldnt hear
a "noisy" lifter sound..I heard it when he showed up...........it seems to happen all the time, but, I was just on the fwy for the first time,
and I could hear it pretty well....my question is this: is this somewhat normal, maybe a lube issue or a simple adjustment?
I ALSO noticed a rough idle that was inconsistent...........I thought it was just because it was a big motor, but is seems out of place.....
I would love to hear from you veterans on these cars.......and I cant wait to pick all of your brains and meet you somewhere/sometime
thanks again!

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can not help with the lifter noise. I would however, like to welcome you here. I hope you enjoy the forum.:drive:

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Got a question.... and I'm no expert.

Was there a significant elevation change from where you are and it's prior location?

I know after spending some time at sea level and then going back to 4500 feet, it took a few days for my Gen III motor to settle down. Lifter noice, for me they have always been noisy. Your hearing both the lifter and the injector. But by no means is this an expert opinion that all is good

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Change the oil to 15w40 or 15w50.
The lifters are designed to bleed down a little, so they are noisy at idle as a result with thinner oils.
The heavier weight oil cures it.
The older design lifters don't do this and you can change them out as an alternative.

My whole car shakes a little at idle..........and there's nothing wrong with it.
I love it. It's like the car is pissed-off.
Vipers are rude and crude......and that's the appeal.
Not a nice car.
Totally obnoxious.

VPRPWRD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Change the oil to 15w40 or 15w50.
The lifters are designed to bleed down a little, so they are noisy at idle as a result with thinner oils.
The heavier weight oil cures it.
The older design lifters don't do this and you can change them out as an alternative.

My whole car shakes a little at idle..........and there's nothing wrong with it.
I love it. It's like the car is pissed-off.
Vipers are rude and crude......and that's the appeal.
Not a nice car.
Totally obnoxious.

this is great advice. The gen2 lifters are a slow bleed design and are significantly quieter than the gen3 lifters. The heavier weight oil will lessen the noise as well if you'd prefer to not tear the car apart.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard it when he showed up...........it seems to happen all the time, but, I was just on the fwy for the first time,
and I could hear it pretty well....my question is this: is this somewhat normal,

If what you are hearing is actually the fuel injectors, then that is normal. They aren't very noticeable in my opinion; but, we have no way to judge your hearing sensitivity. You would have to go listen to a couple of other Vipers under the same conditions.

OP
OP
jimbalayajag

jimbalayajag

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allan,
I guess the manual calls for Mobil 1 Zero-40?? I like the idea of the heavier viscosity oil...the car has sat at this dealership for 6 months...I'm gonna take yours and
others advice and get an oil change and go open it up on a road trip. It's probably just having a little "arthritis" from sitting too long. I am REALLY glad to hear
that yours "rumbles" at idle, its kinda what I figured. You all might understand why I am a little gun shy because I have owned Jaguars for the last 15 years. LOL
Thanks to all of you for your friendly advice...the best place to ask it to those who have the experience!!

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim congrats on your Viper they are awesome as you will find out. If you have one loud tapping noise above the rest you might have an issue, but if its a harmonious symphony of 20 rockers that's OK, but from your post it sounds like even when your driving you hear a loud tap. Have a mechanic listen to it he will know in a second if its OK.

OP
OP
jimbalayajag

jimbalayajag

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.............AND........great advice gets great results!! Added some mobil 1 and a little Lucas Oil Treatment, and now it sounds like it should. Thanks again to you guys and
I look forward to many years of Viper road trips....BTW, anyone here in the Seattle area that gets together, I am in! Thanks again!:headbang:

JANEY

VCA Member-Director MW Zone & Great Lakes Region
Venom Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Viper world! Nice color combo!

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its probably the fuel injectors as was mentioned earlier. Does it sound like an old fashioned sewing machine? :)
I thought the same thing when I picked up my 06' and actually turned around and went back to dealer to let them listen and thats when I was told that it is normal sound for the 10 cylinder beast.
It kind of sounded like my solid lift 72' big block engine lifter noise.
10 fuel injectors delivering fuel to the engine is what I was told.
Just put the Mobil 1, 0w-40w thats what the engine calls for.
10 1/2 qts. with filter change