No dash, parking or taillights followup

Dr. Pepper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought a new headlight switch and got the original out. The original switch looks fine but the red plastic cover on the end of the plug of the wiring harness that plugs into the headlight switch is a little melted and one of the contact points looks like it came apart. Can the wires be separated from the end plug to install a new one (if available?) or what is the best way to replace it. Once I figure out how to fix that I wonder if I should use the old switch which looks fine or just put the new one in (probably...). Something obviously made that plug end melt. thanks

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
My bet is the only way to get an end plug is with a harness

OP
OP
Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Local Dodge dealer said the plug (same one that was used on Dodge pickups) is no longer available. It is available from a couple vendors on the internet for about $30- just have to spice it in if I can't release the wires from the old plug.. Might also try to find a nice plug (not melted....) from a truck at the junkyard.

OP
OP
Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I decided to try and repair the somewhat melted end cap on the wiring harness plug as I could see that the center blade hole wasn't making good contact. I trimmed the melted plastic away from the hole and cleaned it up a bit and pushed the old switch back on- and everything now works!. It was just one contact point on the plug end. Before I install a NEW $70 switch, does anyone know for sure that those old switches were the cause of the meltdown??? Thanks

Sam Goldfarb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I decided to try and repair the somewhat melted end cap on the wiring harness plug as I could see that the center blade hole wasn't making good contact. I trimmed the melted plastic away from the hole and cleaned it up a bit and pushed the old switch back on- and everything now works!. It was just one contact point on the plug end. Before I install a NEW $70 switch, does anyone know for sure that those old switches were the cause of the meltdown??? Thanks

I don't know about the Viper switch but there were problems with the pickup switches and fires. There was a factory recall on them. They replaced the switch and parts of the harness. Almost any automotive electrical repair shop should have or have access to the plugs and components.

OP
OP
Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the new switch from Dodge doesn't work but the original one still does so I put it back in and all seems well for now. I called Summit but the headlight harness relay part# SUM-890030 that is mentioned in earlier threads (referred to above) is no longer available and Summit could not find a replacement part. Does anyone know what might currently be available that would work the same as the discontinued one? It had a price of about $21. Thanks

Sam Goldfarb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the new switch from Dodge doesn't work but the original one still does so I put it back in and all seems well for now. I called Summit but the headlight harness relay part# SUM-890030 that is mentioned in earlier threads (referred to above) is no longer available and Summit could not find a replacement part. Does anyone know what might currently be available that would work the same as the discontinued one? It had a price of about $21. Thanks

Any identifying numbers on the relay? Most realys are rated for the input power and the current carrying ability. Then they can be single or double contacts with a common and an open and close terminal(s). Bosch makes universal relays.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pack-The-...605272?hash=item20ec314498:g:FC0AAOSwfcVUD32-

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know much about relays etc or exactly what kind I need so I was hoping someone would have already installed one and could give me a brand/part number/installation tips.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave