OP
OP
T

TCurtner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like fun I always wanted to do that

Hell yes! Count Broom in.:drive:

So several have expressed interest. I don't know how LARGE this event may become - or it may remain small and driver oriented? This Tail Of The Dragon event seems to be the first of its kind in a while for VCA (I assume since the VOA/VCA split?), but i can tell you this, i'll be happy to lead drivers on all the backroads in the immediate area, and there are many. Plus for those interested, there is plenty of entertainment within short driving distances from my proposed place of stay: Townsend TN.

I did send this in an email to CJ yesterday:
"I would be happy to help organize. As an alternative to the Pigeon Forge chaos (and risk to cars!), the quiet side of the Smoky Mtns IS the Townsend TN side (spectacularly beautiful) – and has more than adequate eating and hotel/motel availability, and safer parking and staging for vipers to the short drives on scenic backroads or on 321 over to Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Cherokee NC etc. etc. So by staying here, to go play in Pigeon Forge may only add an extra 10-15 minutes drive time to get there.
And Townsend is about 7 minutes from the entrance to the Foothills Parkway which is an extraordinary and scenic drive to US129 (less than 18 miles) which is the tail of the dragon. Townsend is much more centralized to the awesome backroads we love, and less crazy than the Pigeon Forge area and highly recommended. If you deem it wise, I can begin investigating the group rates, and can put together a list of accommodations and restaurants here to post later. Of course, I would suggest that we not stage the event near the date of the VOA event nor near the date of other national events that might or do include Vipers.
"

One of my proposed driving routes would be the same as in 2009/2010 when i worked with the club then (with Chip Winter) and set up the concept of going down to Tellico Plains and meeting up at the Exxon there, driving the Cherohala then up the Dragon, with stops at Deal's Gap, and several other side excursions including going down to Fontana NC and other places. It's a full day of driving adventures! We used to come in and meet on Friday morning at the ******* Barrel on Campbell Station Rd. in Knoxville, TN then go from there. I think there is a continuation of this route plan with the VOA (i am out-of-the-loop, because i have been viperless since early 2011, until late June of last year ). We can emulate, or we can change it up to our own new ideas to meet the needs of the VCA. Starting in Townsend is much more central to all the great roads - let's entertain some ideas. If you need maps, or route plans let me know also.

- AND FYI the VOA date for their event: June 2-5 2016 in Gatlinburg.

I volunteer to help plan this in any way that i can. I think i'll be getting in on a conference call soon with VCA officers, so we'll see. Anyone else? Please chime in.
:drive:

Last edited:

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Outstanding!!!!!!!!

Thank you for stepping up and helping,

Vj

ViperCeeJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thomas, by no means is your volunteering a negative issue! We are welcoming you and want to start including you in on what is happening with VCA as a whole, thus inviting you to the next *** conference call. We think it is awesome that you want to organize this for our members! Run with it and let me know how I can help. THANK YOU!

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No negative issue at all. Thank you for your membership and your help! Looking forward to this ride.
Broom

OP
OP
T

TCurtner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thomas, by no means is your volunteering a negative issue! We are welcoming you and want to start including you in on what is happening with VCA as a whole, thus inviting you to the next *** conference call. We think it is awesome that you want to organize this for our members! Run with it and let me know how I can help. THANK YOU!
Will do - would sure like more feedback on forums by those interested in attending. I am unaware of any pending dates of VCA events, so let me know what you think about these general time frames: April 21-24/25th*, May 26-29/30, Aug 25-28/29 or Sept 22-25/26 ??
* (PRACTICAL Spring probably starting 2nd week in March here, after consulting several long range forecasts)

We could always shorten it up, starting on the Fridays, or if VCA members good with weekdays, we could certainly entertain a Monday arrival in area, with Thursday end. This would give those seeking local activites (hiking, shopping, sightseeing, etc.) more opportunities, and definitely benefit drivers with less traffic to deal with. Frankly i would love a mid-week event, but have no idea of the potential impact to participation by doing so. Your Thoughts?

No negative issue at all. Thank you for your membership and your help! Looking forward to this ride.
Broom
No problem - help me get everyone focused on this thread

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TCurtner

Enthusiast
Reaction score

thanks, joined both, and posted on first, pending membership on second.

If we do a Spring event, we need to move fast.
Here is what i posted:
"We definitely need to make some decisions about the when, and get preliminary numbers. If it's 10 or under cars, then it is going to be very easy to organize - 20-30 more difficult, over 50 will have to go to great lengths to do this, and will need firm commitments."

I have no idea - today - of the committed interest in this. If we don't get more VCA members on this thread then it'll be a bust for Spring. Of course the fall times might be better anyway. Let me know how to proceed.

Another thing to consider: http://tailofthedragon.com/tail-of-the-dragon-info/2016-events/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper