Cleaning my Sidewinder hyper black rims

Scottsviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just picked up my 2014 GTS with sidewinder hyper black wheels. They are the ones that look like the face is polished. How does everyone clean these. I had my car paint corrected with the ceramic coating put on. I would suggest it to everyone. It looks great. The detailer told me not to use anything on the rims. Just water. If I use anything else it will turn them black. Water alone will not take of brake dust. Does anyone have a suggestion or product they use.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell your detail guy to tell his wife to stop using dishwashing soap and wash his dishes with just water....purple power aka engine degreaser works great on inside of the wheel and calipers, just wash it off in a timely fashion and watch all the break dust dirt flow away. I wash the wheels with the same car washing soap as the rest of the car. Just use, of course different sponge and rinse out the bucket. hope that helps. go to chemical guys website they have some great products for washing and quick detail products.

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2014 GTS with sidewinder II Hyper wheels. The only cleaner I use is Pinnacle Advanced Wheel Concentrate. It has never ruined my wheels and gets all the brake dust and grime
Off. I always follow up with the pinnacle Back Onyx Tire Gel. Its no sling, doesn't attract dust, it also makes your tires shine.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get your wheels coted with some cqwartz and they will be so much easier to clean, all I use on my wheels is a power washer and a wheel brush

quickster2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not use simple green it can be too aggressive for regular use. I would use this though "Wheel Brush by Daytona Speed Master".

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very happy with Adam's Deep wheel cleaner.....spray it on, may need a small round brush to move it into any nook and crannies, let it go for a few minutes watch as the iron turns red from the brake dust, then just hose off with a spray, if you have a blower, use that to get the most water off, doesn't damage the rubber tire finish, but then apply the tire dressing as wanted....Adam's has a great odor to all their products, and they all work as made...my $.02then

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree about the Adam deep wheel cleaner. works awesome. Simple green can reach with the the aluminum it you have pits or nicks in the clear coat. I have used it as well but don't let it sit too long on the finish.

broker99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always had very good luck with chemical guys all wheel cleaner. You can dilute down to 4:1 so a gallon can go along way.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keeping things simple, you can just use what ever soap solution left over from washing your car to clean your wheels. If it is mild enough for the paint, the clear coat on your wheels should also tolerate it.

Use a separate soft brush, and go easy on it. Your wheels should end up bright and shiney.

If using a bucket, be sure to also use a grit guard.

OP
OP
S

Scottsviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you for all the suggestions. I just got freaked out when the detailer guy that did the paint correction and ceramic coating told me any cleaner would turn them black. And for everyone reading this thread. DO THE PAINT CORRECTION AND CERAMIC COATING!! It looks AMAZING!! My cars are always spotless and look like glass. I use Adams products. But I have literally had 10-15 people stop me and ask what I did to my car to make the finish look the way it does. And no swirl marks. Again thank you for all the suggestions

viperBase1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Off. I always follow up with the pinnacle Back Onyx Tire Gel. Its no sling, doesn't attract dust, it also makes your tires shine.

Resurrecting this 7 year old thread!

Any excuse to post pics of my Black Onyx Chrome PVD coated SidewinderII wheels.
As for cleaning 'em, I just use the same car shampoo used in the wash and a wheel brush, then wipe 'em down with a microfiber towel and maybe a little P&S Beadmaker Detail Spray and/or P&S Beadmaker Sealant.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Depending on the light they can look anywhere from chrome-like to deep black shine.

Attachments

• rf9_small.jpg
    rf9_small.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 4

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I was always really tempted to do a black chrome setup on something, but not sure it would look as good on my car. I've just grown accustomed to the standard look on mine. Yours look awesome though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32