1997 Viper GTS Hood Question

WinstonCupDad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, Family

My son's 1997 Viper GTS' hood will not stay up on its own. With the design of the hood and the way it opens, the hood has too much weight for the supports to allow it to remain up without the aid of a stick or an external rod.

Do you guys and gals have any tips/tricks/fixes so that the Viper's hood will stay up on its own without any help? Thank you, guys!

Jay Lopez

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to replace the springs. I had it done in my 97 quite a few years ago. You might have a hard time finding them. Try Partsrack

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Often people mistakenly lubricate these and they fall too easily. Spray the hinge/spring with a liberal amount of brake clean. Let it dry, and you should see improvement.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Often people mistakenly lubricate these and they fall too easily. Spray the hinge/spring with a liberal amount of brake clean. Let it dry, and you should see improvement.

That's right. Then clean it again and then again. Worst thing you can do is lubricate the damn thing.

*****absolutely no sarcasm was used in the above post.

OP
OP
W

WinstonCupDad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got new springs for $20 each.

Just put these p/n's in the search field. One is left and one is right.

https://moparonlineparts.com/mop-parts/#parts

Do I need to order both parts (both numbers that you have listed)? I am not sure of the name of the part, nor do I really understand the different numbers on the diagram that pulls up when searching for the parts.

1. Do I need both parts?
2. When looking at the diagram that pulls up, do I receive all of those pieces or one of the individual pieces? I would like to see what I am ordering.

Braunstein82

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need to order both, one is left other is right side. Comes with the entire assembly from where it mounts to car all the way to where it mounts to hood support frame. The diagram is misleading.