Dodge Viper Problem (Help Please)

Black1sb3tt3r

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So washed the car off because of bird crap went to turn the car on and barely wanted to turn on.. drove for a mile or two, car completely died.. jumped the battery now I have a really bad knock sounds like a helicopter please help...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hgb3KJI84Q

Last edited:

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
I've seen this happen on ten 3's. Check the pcm's plugs for water, I've also seen the case on the pcm's fracked letting in water

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's not likely, but wonder if it got some water down the intake and hydro-locked a cylinder enough to bend a valve or something? I know some of the early 5.7 Hemis had the issue to sending rods out the side of a block after driving through large puddles, but it seems like a pretty big longshot. Hopefully it's something easier like some sort of electrical short. Maybe an injector or plug wire shorted out and one cylinder is dead? I suppose you could try pulling wires one at a time to see if it changes how it runs, but then again it's probably best not to run it for long if it's knocking really bad.

OP
OP
B

Black1sb3tt3r

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's not likely, but wonder if it got some water down the intake and hydro-locked a cylinder enough to bend a valve or something? I know some of the early 5.7 Hemis had the issue to sending rods out the side of a block after driving through large puddles, but it seems like a pretty big longshot. Hopefully it's something easier like some sort of electrical short. Maybe an injector or plug wire shorted out and one cylinder is dead? I suppose you could try pulling wires one at a time to see if it changes how it runs, but then again it's probably best not to run it for long if it's knocking really bad.
yeah ive seen someone do that on yountube. im gonna add some oil and put in a fresh tank of 93 to see if that helps. i doubt i got any water in the intake since i only barely even wet the car...

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to say it but it sounds like a rod bearing knock.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
If it's just a bearing and didn't hurt the crank journal it really shouldn't be that bad of a job. Pull the pan and the rod cap and throw on a new bearing and away you go. I can't imagine it would be hugely expensive, but it is a Viper, so I'm sure a lot of places would hike up the price.