Whats your opinion.. should the Viper go mid engine?

JANEY

VCA Member-Director MW Zone & Great Lakes Region
Venom Member
Reaction score
Found this on posted facebook by Fiat Chrysler Authority. It has been posted on Viper Club of America's facebook pages. Thought I would share it with those that are not on facebook.
Copy and paste the below link for picture with article.

Would a mid-engine Dodge Viper be sacrilege?

fcauthority.com/2016/07/community-question-should-the-dodge-viper-go-mid-engined/[/url]

Fiat Chrysler Authority.....

We recently had to deal to you the sad news that the 2017 Dodge Viper would be the final iteration of the iconic V10 sportscar. Luckily for us Dodge sent it off with a bang and released several special edition 2017 Vipers, but for most Mopar
faithful it was still a hard pill to swallow.

It’s not far fetched to think the Viper could one day return, however the vehicle’s future will likely depend on Fiat Chrysler’s success in coming years. In January Fiat Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne said the Viper could theoretically return riding on the automaker’s rear-wheel drive Giorgio platform and offer improved performance as a result, but he also noted he doesn’t “think (FCA’s) made the decision,” yet.

By the time a new Viper rolls around it will have a host of mid-engine competition to deal with, like the coming
mid-engine Chevrolet Corvette and rumored Porsche ‘960’. For this reason, Dodge would be forced to consider switching from the current car’s FR layout to an MR design – especially if it wanted to take the Viper racing again.

The idea of a mid-engine Viper has certainly crossed the mind of FCA designers and engineers before. For example, look at the Dodge Tomahawk Gran Turismo 6 Vision GT concept. With its carbon-fiber monocoque chassis, V10 engine and overly aggressive styling, all it needs to be a mid-engine Viper is a couple of Stryker badges.

So, with all that in mind, do you think the Viper should switch to a mid-engine layout if it returns? Let us know what you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 39

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
People looooose their minds because a Viper costs between 100k - 140k, and the thought of a mid engine probably at a cost of 200k plus, yep, that will make the Viper faithful drooooooooool

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think the ultimate solution for Viper, would be for it to become the stand alone ultra high performance brand for Chrysler.

Think a updated vehicle like the current Viper, a mid-engine ultra car, a exotic and high output small two door coupe alongside a similar 4door hot hatch.

One sports car, standing on it's own, will always be a challenge.

Fiat already has their existing mid engine and front engine Ferrari. Viper could be the Americanized versions of those, with better value.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
To some degree the Viper is already mid-engined, though not in the sense that most people accept. The engine is pretty much entirely behind the front axle, so it's what some might call a front-mid engine layout. I don't think mid-engined is really necessary at all. If the weight balance is there, it doesn't matter where the engine is. The Viper has already proved it can compete against the mid-engined competition in the Tudor/IMSA/Weathertech (or whatever you want to call it today) series, so I don't see why it would need to be changed for that reason.

Sadly I don't think there's really any way to keep the "soul" of the car going forward as I think the most necessary part is a large displacement V10. The immense instant low end torque is something that no new car can really compare against. Also, the large displacement seems to keep the engine pretty low-stress so they last forever, even under tremendous punishment. Forced induction always seems cool upfront, but after a few laps it seems lots of new cars just can't keep the lap times and temperatures down. I could track my car for 20 minute sessions on 90+ degree days and the temps didn't look much different than driving down the highway and never got anywhere close to a number that would worry me.

Honestly, if the Viper has to die, I would love to see the ME412 take its place as the reigning king of the FCA brand. That car was amazing and way before its time. I think it would still hold a candle to many new performance cars today. I want one of those so bad and would almost consider trying to build one myself if I ever had the means.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be priced out of competition with the 'Vette, it's real sales and spiritual rival.

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anything but a V10 and F/R configuration is blasphemy and certainly NOT a Viper.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
While it certainly makes me sad, I would rather have the Viper
die an honorable death than see it turned into the next Charger
simply for the sake of "repurposing" the brand. I would love to
see Dodge make a mid-engine counterpoint to the new FordGT
abortion but I think that project needs its own namesake and
legacy.

The simple fact is that Dodge wants to re-use the Viper
nameplate because they already own the name - not because
they want to continue our loyalty or fandom, or even progress
the antiquated design into the new millenia. Its a marketing
tactic and I do not approve...

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely YES! If I recall correctly, I believe Chrysler built a prototype/mule in the mid engine configuration during the Gen I/II era. I want to say it's in one of the old issues of the Viper magazine.

Thanks for posting! I don't do social media. Forums are as far as I go.....

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it appears the Corvette is headed this way....Motor Trend had posted pictures on their website. They still plan on keeping the front engine Corvette for few years though too.

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, based on the vid i posted the other day about the 2013 Viper, because the motor is behind the front wheels, it IS a mid engined car... ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave