Rod Knock on a '04 ?

Isofouet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi !
I have a small knock on my 04 SRT 10
Not very loud, but clearly noticable.
It appeared after a high revs drive...

I checked if there was play in the valvetrain (lifter issue), but there was none.

It makes me think of a rod bearing issue. :crazy2:
There is also a bronze color in the oil
What's your thoughts ?

Are the bearings replaceable with the engine in the car ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iMH4fMApP8

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I think the rod bearings are replaceable without an engine removal. Talked to a guy in the past that had a similar issue and had one bad one that was knocking pretty bad. You can get the pan off without too much trouble, though the condition of the crank journal can change things. If you can just clean it up with a little emery cloth you'd be okay, but if it's gouged or something and needs machined it becomes an move involved process.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They make a tool for cutting the oil filter open. It's like a big can opener. I would cut the filter and look inside for debris. This is a good indicator of what's going on. If you find a lot of metal then you're done. If there is no metal then you start looking somewhere else. If you do find debris then you will need to replace the oil cooler and lines as well during the repair. If not the repair will be short lived as the debris will find it's way back into the engine

98RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"There is also a bronze color in the oil" - That's most likely from a bearing. Best of luck with getting things sorted out.

InTheZoneAC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would assume with any rod knock that a set of bearings are destroyed and if it occurred during high revs then your crank journal is gouged as well.

May I ask how often:

-you checked your oil levels
-you changed your oil
-what oil you use

and do you ever let oil temps warm up completely before having fun with it?

OP
OP
I

Isofouet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would assume with any rod knock that a set of bearings are destroyed and if it occurred during high revs then your crank journal is gouged as well.

May I ask how often:

-you checked your oil levels
-you changed your oil
-what oil you use

and do you ever let oil temps warm up completely before having fun with it?
I check the oil level frequently and it was ok. The oil was changed 2000 miles ago, it was the recommanded mobil 1 5W30 from the dealership.
And I let the oil warm up before going into high revs, more than less usually. But I don't know how the car was driven by the previous owners :(

Anyway, tomorrow I try to remove the oilpan... And we'll see !

OP
OP
I

Isofouet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, so it's easy to remove the oil pan and access the rod caps... But bad news, a bearing is destroyed, on cylinder 4 :crazy2:

You must be registered for see images attach

The crank journal is also scratched
You must be registered for see images attach

It doesn't seem very deep, but can be clearly feeled with the finger... I don't know if it needs machining of if it can be saved by hand...

OP
OP
I

Isofouet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, it seems so...
I'm good to remove the crankshaft with the engine still in the car...it will be fun :D

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More fun than id rather have! Good luck though! With a forged crank youre lucky, the nitrided cranks in the DSM's couldnt be turned or it would kill them.