New 1997 GTS owner and VCA member

Snakewatching

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just joined the VCA and I have my first Viper - 1997 GTS Red with less than 700 miles.

Lots of little projects to do on this 19 year old car (to get it as good as it left the factory)

Runs really strong and the rough/lumpy idle from the stock cam is wonderful.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Less than 700 miles wow. That's a museum piece. Congrats

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't that 708 like music?

Dont be a craphead cause i ask a question, im trying to learn all i can, but the 708 is stock? What years was it available? I heard a 710 cam and didnt like it.

OP
OP
S

Snakewatching

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Do you still have the Prowler?

Yes, I still have it. Looks like it is only a few months old.

Its getting no attention now that I am working on the Viper. Just changed the GTS back window struts, fixed the amp in the back, getting ready to change all fluids.

Here is a picture from MD inspection day:

Attachments

• Inspection_day_1.jpg
    Inspection_day_1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Snakewatching

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dont be a craphead cause i ask a question, im trying to learn all i can, but the 708 is stock? What years was it available? I heard a 710 cam and didnt like it.

I found this on Roe Racing:
SKU: MPP-FC708
Brand: Mopar
The "708" cam is the camshaft that came used in the 1996 GTS engines that produced the big lumpy idle and great power. It's an upgrade to install this camshaft in the '92 - '96 RT/10 engines (that were 400 HP as opposed to 450 HP) as well as the '00 - '02 cars with the "creampuff" cam. Great for stock as well as modified engines. Couple it with a set of 1.7 roller rockers and pushrods for another 25 HP! The camshaft can be changed with the engine in the car. Typically, the cylinder heads will have to be removed so the lifters can be pulled out to change the cam, though strong magnets may be carefully used to hold up the lifters if the heads are left on.

I used the word" Lumpy" they used it too, great word for the cam.

Last edited:

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow 700 miles, thats great. Do not forget to **** out the clutch master, when you do all the fluids.:usa: