Gen 2 GTS Outer Stanchion Cover weatherstrip upgrade/replacement

Snakewatching

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Knowing that the Gen 2's have issues with the weatherstripping for the Outer Stanchion Cover on the GTS (Part MS80RX8 passenger and MS81RX8 driver):

1) Replacements are hard to get (if even still available for drivers side).

2) It is very expensive to purchase a whole cover just to replace the weatherstrip.

3) Original attachment is weak and can pop off if pressed hard.

I am pursuing getting this issue solved for both Driver and Passenger side.

I would like to make weatherstrip so it is stronger than OEM and an easy replacement process while looking OEM (at a reasonable cost).

I could use items below if anyone can help me (PM me please).

A) old weatherstrip piece (any length or condition) and/or junk outer Stanchion for testing (don't want to tear mine up just yet, unless I have to).

B) any old drawing or OEM spec on who made the weatherstrip for Dodge (and the dimensions if possible).

NOTE: This will take time (I am a busy guy).

To gauge interest >> Who would be interested in the final product? (if my part works out).

Last edited:

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did all the years of gen 2 have a problem, my 99 seems perfect still like new.

OP
OP
S

Snakewatching

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I received my first sample weatherstrip and it looks promising.

This weatherstrip (beyond normal attachment surface) has a curl of rubber that wraps over the outside front edge of the outer stanchion (which the OEM did not) for increased attachment strength.

OP
OP
S

Snakewatching

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The NEW test weatherstrip worked out really well. I am working on the install instructions.

This outer weatherstrip should be able to be installed without removing any hardware, just prep work on the attachment point.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
S

Snakewatching

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did all the years of gen 2 have a problem, my 99 seems perfect still like new.

My drivers side was damaged by transporter driver, getting in the car during a delivery, climbing through the drivers window to drive car out of trailer.