NEW OWNER 2004 srt 10...noise developed

MSDESIGNLTD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello All..
Last Month I purchased a 2004 Gen 3 Viper conv. 3000 orig miles...
I recently notice a noise coming from the approx area of the drivers side valve cover area, could be under neath heads or header area as well.
The noise sounds like what might be a slipping fan belt squeal but there is no fan belt in that area..the squeal continues for about 5 minutes and dissipates by 8 9 or 10 minutes completely...
Before I bring it in for service...any suggestions for what might be making this noise..
Thanks
in advance
Michael

OP
OP
M

MSDESIGNLTD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for replies..

Very stock original , doubt whether it has K and N but will check.
The sound is mechanical..really almost like a slipping belt..but the belt pulley system is up front and appears perfect tension.

I need to borrow a stethescope to locate..
?????????

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leaky exhaust gasket possibly, since it goes away, presumably after its warmed up enough.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leaky exhaust gasket possibly, since it goes away, presumably after its warmed up enough.

Cracked exhaust header on Gen 3 is a common failure mode; but, I didn't think that it would make the kind of noise that OOP describes, and his mileage is so low. I have never heard one, though.

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cracked exhaust header on Gen 3 is a common failure mode; but, I didn't think that it would make the kind of noise that OOP describes, and his mileage is so low. I have never heard one, though.

Its possible its so small that it makes a whistling noise, a stretch i know, but still, possibility.

OP
OP
M

MSDESIGNLTD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks All..
I have a mechanic with a steth looking at it Sat morn..Will post Monday answer...

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks All..
I have a mechanic with a steth looking at it Sat morn..Will post Monday answer...

Just in case he does find that the noise comes from around the header, tell him about the contents of the following thread if he is not familiar with the Viper. I think that the crack is typically on the back side of the header. Obviously, he should also consider the gasket.
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/627900-Exhaust-Leak-Found-Crack-in-Exhaust-Manifold-Header-(pics)

OP
OP
M

MSDESIGNLTD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all input..
It was the fan belt tensioner pulley..the bearing when cold squeals and after warm up disappears...
My Dumb, that pulley is central and down..somehow the sound was deflecting towards the drivers side..put a lube on it...for now , will replace it soon..

Thanks to all..