Cooling Fan

Rnj1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I noted a vibration, located the source, a chipped cooling system fan, unbalanced and shaking the shroud area. I was on a day trip, made it home keeping good air flow over the radiator and now am looking for 'just the fan'..
It looks like a hydraulic unit, and I was curious as to whether anyone had replaced 'just the fan' or if the recommendation is to change out the entire motor and fan system?

Thanks in advance...

Rich

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Wouldn't see any reason you couldn't just replace the fan unless it is strangely attached to the motor somehow. Don't know that I've ever seen the front of the system though. Have seen the back plenty during the power steering work I've done.

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember seeing a thread about that and the person i think swapped in a SPAL unit in place of the hydro fan.

Brass Monkey ACR E

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If by chance you need a GEN3 hydraulic cooling fan assy, I have a NEW TAKE OFF
Asking $500 + shipping
I know you are just looking for the fan blade only

OP
OP
R

Rnj1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I noted the vibration, checked on replacing the fan only.. ordered the entire hydraulic unit from JonB... I researched it as much as I could, blade not available separate.. and appears to be not strong enough to r/r the fan alone... but.. soon I will have an extra assembly to do my R & D on! I will end up with a nice spare...

OP
OP
R

Rnj1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Cooling Fan assembly pics... pan looks to be a part of the unit.. no hidden allen type fasteners that I noted..

OP
OP
R

Rnj1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
how it went....

Popped (screws thru fascia) the bottom front cover loose from the fascia, picked up a pair of 'push pin' removal pliers from Napa, drained a few gallons out of the radiator (plastic petcock), removed the top radiator hose, and disconnected an aluminum cooler attached to the passenger side front near the radiator, laying it out of the way. Removed the lines feeding the hydraulic fan, one hydraulic line from the power steering and another from the front of the engine, removed the four bolts that held the cooling assembly, and two push pins at the bottom of the cooler, Lifted the assembly, disconnected the hose, wiring, lifted it out and took a nap. Cleaned up the area, wiping down the different components.

Reversed the procedure, accidentally over filled the power steering...(proper fluid is critical, no room for guessing, ABC had the correct fluid). Connected everything, left covers off, let idle till warmed up... turned off, let heat build, restarted the car, cooling fan worked... smoooooth!!! no drips, not hits, no errors... reassembled the covers, showered took wifey to dinner....

No more vibration, nice relaxin cruise....

Push Pin Pliers are.... the tool to have... takes the frustration out of the deal... I can do mechanical work, do not enjoy it... typically.. this was really enjoyable, knowing everything was correct, clean, and no broken/missing plastic connectors/fasteners...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235