advice please on purchase of gen v launch edition

nismobrown

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hI, please can anyone here tell me what to look out for ( recalls etc ) on a gen v launch edition , it has approx. 9,000 miles, thanks.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
First step is to run V I N through Chrysler to look for recalls that are done or those that are still open.

http:/recalls.mopar.com/

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Switched from smart phone to laptop...easier to type more!!

While we have a 2014 and not a 2013, I am fairly informed about the recalls for both.

In no particular order, you will need to check on door handle switches (pop open when wet as car sitting or rolling)..includes new color matched door release handles. Rear glass defroster...can shatter glass when activated (I have seen one on a Launch Edition). Seat position sensors...necessary for correct force for airbag firing. U-connent reprorgam...to prevent hacking, etc.

R28/R29...big question on some motors...one is for oil consumption...other looks for debris in oil (may necessitate new block).

I hope this info will be of assistance...others may add more.

NOTE: These are great performing (and looking) cars...don't let above stop you form considering one...just be SURE of warranty status in Great Britain. If at all possible, I would suggest that you get a Chrysler extended warranty.

OP
OP
N

nismobrown

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thanks ,my biggest concern is the motor, do you know after a certain mileage the motor is proven to be ok or can they fail any time?
I don't think a Chrysler warranty is available as it is an import .

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
No, I do not know of a mileage that "proves" or "indicates" that the worries are over. My own approach is to drives ours conservatively while I watch to see how things evolve. Fortunately, we have other Vipers.

OP
OP
N

nismobrown

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thanks for the information, I need to confirm all recalls are sorted after I get the vin , if not probably best to get a later build year if the pound ever improves.

Quarterhorse89

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently some/most are blowing up around 3000 miles. Mines at the dealer right now at 2800 miles. I noticed a severe oil pressure drop at full throttle. Dealer called me today and said that it was low on oil about 2 quarts. The recalls had already been completed prior to me taking it in this time around.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently some/most are blowing up around 3000 miles. Mines at the dealer right now at 2800 miles. I noticed a severe oil pressure drop at full throttle. Dealer called me today and said that it was low on oil about 2 quarts. The recalls had already been completed prior to me taking it in this time around.

2 quarts low after just having an oil change done 30 miles ago?...by the same dealer no less?

OP
OP
N

nismobrown

Viper Owner
Reaction score
is it possible to find out how many cars have required new motors due to the oil filter contamination issues ?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is it possible to find out how many cars have required new motors due to the oil filter contamination issues ?

I have read many posts on the subject, and have only seen guesses that appear to be non-scientific in nature. It appears to me that anyone that might actually have a clue, is probably limited by a non-disclosure clause in their employment contract (common here in the US.)

OP
OP
N

nismobrown

Viper Owner
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone knows which component causes the engine failure on some pre 2015 cars?