Convertible top removal

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Has anyone ever removed the entire convertible top structure from their gen 3/4? The rear window section seam above the rear most support bar has come loose on my car and I'd like to see about getting it fixed as it appears to just be a glued joint. Due to the tension and general lack of accessibility, I don't think it would be easy to fix while still in the car. I read the service manual section regarding it, but it talks about taking the fabric off the structure with the structure left in the car. I'd rather not pull staples and drill out rivets, so I was wondering if it was possible to remove the entire assembly. I think it can be fixed without removing the top from the structure, but I think the structure has to come out of the car at least for that to work.

Reaction score
We had a car with top Issue and after really looking at what It would take to chisel the top from the body we just fixed It In place as best as he could.

OP
OP
MoparMap

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hmm, that's not promising. I think it could possibly be done if I unlatch it at the front to get the tension off, but just getting back there and trying to re-glue it might be interesting. Wasn't sure if it was an adhesive joint or more like an iron on bond thing. If it was the latter it would be pretty tough to do in place I'd think.

OP
OP
MoparMap

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Okay, looking for some people with more experience with convertible tops if there are any out there. I have got the top pretty much off the car. It wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting, basically just the pinch bar on the back under the trunk lip and three bolts on each side for the main hinge.

That being said, I'm trying to understand how this top goes together and what can be done. Looking at the factory parts listings, there are two main sections to the top, the upper portion that includes the "B pillars" and the back section that has the glass. As far as I can tell, my upper section is fine. I need to look at it closer, but at this point I'm not sure if my glass is starting to debond from the panel it's installed in or not. There is a little separation in the corner, but I haven't inspected exactly what has separated yet. The curious part is that the parts listing also includes an entry for collision replacement glass. That makes it seem like the glass could be replaced independently, so it sounds like the whole top could be repaired.

Basically my back panel with the glass came loose where it is bonded to the upper canvas section at the rear linkage rib. That is my first problem and seems like it must be repairable since you have to buy the two canvas sections separately per the parts manual. The second problem is the glass potentially debonding from the panel it's mounted in. Since you can buy collision replacement glass, it also seems like this could be fixed, unless the replacement glass also includes the canvas panel and it's just a double listing in the parts manual.

Long story short perhaps, has anyone ever had the back glass in their convertible car repaired? If the glass was replaced, do you know how they did it?