GEN V ENGINE

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My engine has been great. But I have read and heard about more than a few Gen V engine failures. My understanding is that there were only four with respect to the Gen IV engine.

Please post here if you have had one or have DIRECT knowledge of a Gen V engine failure.

State the mileage on the car at the time of the engine failure event.

State whether it occurred after or before the R28 recall was done.

State whether the car had a proper oil fill at the time of the event.

Also state whether the repair was covered by warranty. If it was not, please state what reason was given for the declination of warranty coverage. Please keep it brief and to the point. No ranting please.

The purpose of this thread is to try to get an idea of just how wide spread this problem is and whether the NHTSA should be made aware of it again for determining whether a more comprehensive recall should be done in addition to the R28 recall already done. In other words, are some of these failures occurring on the highway? Around town? On a road course? On start up? Where?

Lastly, does FCA know the cause of the failures. I have read that it is believed that they are mostly because a number of engine blocks were not properly manufactured by the block vendor.

So let's see if we can put some unemotional, reliable data together and then see what, if anything, needs to be done and who needs to do it.