Looking at buying a Viper

GenII

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So for as long as I can remember a Viper has been my dream car. Well now I am looking at finally picking one up if i can find the right car for me but i have a few questions. I am looking ultimately for a 96-99 GTS

What should i look for when looking to purchase a Gen 2 GTS?
What issues do these cars have? like normal parts that go out
What else should i know before purchasing one
What mileage should i stay away from on these cars? seems like most have under 40k and i dont know if there are major issues with these cars having 20k+ miles on them

Also i am already approved for a loan and have cash on the side if needed so its not if i can get approved its more of if i can find the right car for me

On that note does anyone here know of a good one for sale or are you selling a good one?

Also I am from New Mexico and if its not too far i would like to drive the Viper I buy back home but also have a car trailer. But shipping is also an option but worried about buying site unseen

Thank you

GTSgreg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a 1996 GTS, with 11K miles, and have discovered a few things needing maintenance or replacement now that I have it home, but the gen 2s seem pretty solid.
Motor mounts are gone and need replaced, heard it's a common issue.
Generally I would stay away from too many mods.

LQQK_OUT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replacement tires may be an issue.
What are ones options for replacement tires on stock 17" rims? (New date-coded tires only)

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check all of the following:

1. Rubber door weather seals.

2. Door hinges. Common problem. They sag over time. A pain in the rear end to shim properly but an experienced Viper tech or body shop can do it quickly. Engines for 1999 and before are stronger. They have better pistons and 1999 is probably the best engine year for the Gen II.

3. Wiring that goes into the door from the car. See if any are close to breaking. Easy to fix.

4. Exhauster vents ( they are rubber) located inside the trunk on each side. They are not expensive to replace.

5. ABS brakes did not become available until the 2001 model year.

6. Early Gen II's had side exhausts. From 1996 on, the Gen II's had rear exausts.

7. Check the center console for cracks. If the covering leather is not ripped, it is easy to remove the center console, put a reinforcing piece in it with epoxy and reinstall it.

8. If the tires are more than six years old, replace them. If the car has been drag raced at all, replace them anyway. They may be heat cycled out and hard as a rock. Hard, cold tires on a Gen II are very dangerous.

Bottom line. Have an experienced Gen II person like Mark Jorgensen at Woodhouse, Chuck Tator at Tator's Garage, or someone else like them nearer to you, check the car out first. They will know what to look for.

HardHitter

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Attachments

• 00f0f_kLdUmWh1q5a_1200x900.jpg
    00f0f_kLdUmWh1q5a_1200x900.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 00w0w_j0NMyowndCC_1200x900.jpg
    00w0w_j0NMyowndCC_1200x900.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 00z0z_jE9IGRYQId4_1200x900.jpg
    00z0z_jE9IGRYQId4_1200x900.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 00606_hyHjGb2RVrS_1200x900.jpg
    00606_hyHjGb2RVrS_1200x900.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 18

HardHitter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, ive seen your ads here, Autotrader and eBay, but im staying away from any Hennessey stuff at this point. Sorry :(

I've never posted an ad on here or eBay so may be a different car?

What are your concerns with Hennessey? They've never worked on the car.

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never posted an ad on here or eBay so may be a different car?

What are your concerns with Hennessey? They've never worked on the car.

Ok, maybe not eBay, but youve posted the thread here saying you wanted to sell it. From that post "Well documented 1997 Dodge Viper with the Hennessey 500 Package at 30,*** miles" i take that as its a Hennessey car?

HardHitter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, maybe not eBay, but youve posted the thread here saying you wanted to sell it. From that post "Well documented 1997 Dodge Viper with the Hennessey 500 Package at 30,*** miles" i take that as its a Hennessey car?

The Hennessey package is an exhaust package (Headers/muffler). What are the concerns with having exhaust on the Viper?

Attachments

• 20160818_190804.jpg
    20160818_190804.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 25

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Hennessey package is an exhaust package (Headers/muffler). What are the concerns with having exhaust on the Viper?

None, i took that to mean they did tuning on the car, my misunderstanding. Do you have the stock seats?

TWISTED METAL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Milage shouldnt be a concern, the less miles it has the more it cost and the more issues that can arise especiallyif it was driven to 10k miles and then sat for 10 yrs not really being used. I bought my 1998 gts with 80k miles and it runs great and doesnt leak a drop of oil. If u look arou d u can find vipers with more than 175k miles on them and still going. Great car and well built, I could let mine go for 32.5k if someone was serious about buying I guess.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: