Gen 1 Battery

1 of 9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is winter in Michigan so it is a good time to replace the battery in my Gen 1. Any recommendations as to type? For instance AGM in place of the wet cell. How about
brand? Thanks.

viperman4125

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is winter in Michigan so it is a good time to replace the battery in my Gen 1. Any recommendations as to type? For instance AGM in place of the wet cell. How about
brand? Thanks.

Call Braille in Sarasota Fl. The BEST battery. AMG Used in all race cars- Indy Etc. cars.
Have a chat with them, if your not looking for a cheap battery. 941.315.5047
You will be informed.

OP
OP

1 of 9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks viperman4125. I looked at their website. Yes, they do look like a very high tech battery company given the racing applications but I could not find that they offer a battery for the Gen 1 Viper.

Does anyone else have a Gen 1 Viper on this site that is willing to lend an opinion? If not, then the easy route is just to get a Mopar battery from the dealer. It was good enough originally so I am sure it will be fine. I just thought that in 20 years there might be something better for the Gen 1 cars.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
From 2 recent posts that I made in another forum:

"For 18 years I have been using Sears Die-Hard Gold batteries in our Gen I and II Vipers(total of 5 here now). Some of these have lasted 8-9 years using battery tenders. Unfortunately, in the last 5 years, the average lifespan on this model seems to be falling...with several making it less than 2 years. Of course, Sears kindly gives me a new one, but I do not enjoy changing them out on these 5 Vipers every couple of years!! Admittedly, our newer Vipers are much easier to remove/install batteries.

Another factor is the dwindling number of Sears stores around here.

In case you have not noticed it, there seem to be Auto Zones everywhere...making it very easy for the occasional return if necessary.

Finally, whatever you choose, read the date on the battery...accepting none more that a few months of age. Also, ask them to test the voltage in the store before you buy one...if below low 12's...get another one. I have turned down "new" batteries testing in the 11 volt range. Could these batteries be rehabilitated...maybe...but I am not willing to try since removing the wheel, etc. is the penalty for such folly.

Finally, I will not put a new battery into a Viper (especially Gen I and II) without charging it with the appropriate charger for at least a couple of days. Even after that, I will let it sit off of the charger for a day or two to test voltage before putting it into a Viper."

ALSO:

"I will share a fact or two. Dealer installed a "Mopar 72 month" battery in a friend's Viper...and it lasted 2 years and 11 months. I made a "housecall" to install a new battery purchased from another source. When we visited installing dealer for possible prorating...we found out two things: First, this "72 month" battery had full exchange warranty for only 18 months (50% less than other similar bttreries costing much less)!! Second, battery MUST be in the car and read by instruments at the dealer before any warranty can be considered...NEVER MIND that we had full service records and bill of sale for said battery. Since the $$$ would by tiny, and we had no intention of reinstalling a completely dead battery into this Viper and then trying to get the car to the dealer for verification...we passed...and Fiat won again. SAD !!!"

OP
OP

1 of 9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the posting and advice. AutoZone on the list. Mopar and Sears are now off of my list. (I heard on the TV today that Sears would be closing even more stores. I guess the "Brick & Mortar" stores took it on the chin over the Christmas shopping holiday.)

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And depending where the store is, most of the stuff is stolen from the store not bought.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave