To Bra or not to Bra

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK so it is no secret that most Viper owners are extremely meticulous about the appearance of their cars, I put myself in that group.
I simply get bent of shape at a blemish in the paint ,clear, etc. I have been doing a bit of research on having the front end of my car done with a
Protective product. I've been told it will protect against chipping, swirl marks, bugs and anything that might would harm my beloved
Serpent. I have been steered toward XPEL. I'm told it's the best. What are your thoughts on this? Is it worthwhile and does it live up to the hype?
Also, I've been told it can be put on the entire car.

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive only heard good things about 3M products, not really heard anything about any other brands. The main problem is finding an installer who knows how to do it right. I want to say someone else posted recently about this and was told to find someone who had it done (Lambo or other high end car) and see who did theirs. Not sure it boils down to which product is best, but which installer is.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Broom--
I have XPEL on my 2016 ACR-E--did the front end ( front half of the hood-fenders--all the front facia including the canards)- front fenders from the hood down continuing to the entire length of the rockers--rear fenders behind the rear wheels--leading edge of the wing and rear view mirrors. Must say that it's invisible unless you really look for the edge long the hood. Had the installer do it that works with John Gastman.
I not done the other Vipers ('05 '10). Guess I got a little paranoid with this new one.
My ACR is white with black center band and red drivers stripe which would show all flaws and discoloration in a big way. Darker colors are easier to do according to the installer. Your beautiful "blue" color would come out great.
XPEL also provides 2 bottles of a sealant which serves to protect the film from environmental crap (birds). I just applied the sealant for the first time today. Doing a car show this Sat.
The car was done in April of 2016 with no issues so far.
At this point I really recommend the XPEL. I spent $1500 installed. Hope this helps--Dave

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Xpe; seems to have licensed contractors , so a problem later , at a different locale ( i.e. State, city ) should be warrantied by a Franchise holder.

I would like to personally thank all of the Forum members who refrained from going super wacko when Broom asked , " To Bra or not to Bra!" Almost makes one think some of you folks are growing up and getting a modicum of maturity, ha!?

Purple Haze

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the whole front of my 2016 GTC Stryker Purple done with Xpel. It was done by a professional that works on very expensive cars. Xpel does not make one piece large enough for the Viper hood so it most be pieced together. When you look closely you can see some edges here and there and he told me this would be the case. But it looks great overall and I would rather see a few edges than a few chips. I did the mirror fronts, A-pillars, Headlights, door grabs, all the lower rockers, etc. I did not do the roof, doors and deck he said it's a waste of money. Cost about $2600 took him a few days but came right to my house. I live in Northern Ohio. Bugs wash right off few miles on car only taken to local shows....

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been on the fence. I do not get it done as I hate seeing the lines where it ends. With time, you can get a dark line as dirt adheres to end of adhessive. They do help protect the paint though.

OP
OP
broomrider

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to personally thank all of the Forum members who refrained from going super wacko when Broom asked , " To Bra or not to Bra!" Almost makes one think some of you folks are growing up and getting a modicum of maturity, ha!?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I was trying to see if these guys would notice that, I thought it was hilarious. Not every chick is uptight. :lmao:

OP
OP
broomrider

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who has offered an opinion on this, it is most appreciated. I don't mind spending the money if its a permanent fix. I am extremely meticulous about my cars, I just think the lines would bug me greatly. I know I would be replacing it sooner than suggested because
it would begin to show up more as years went on. I would never forgive myself if having it on there affected the paint. I am a serious about wax and polishes. I may end up investing in paint protection another way.

Purple Haze

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
See all the lines...Seriously unless you are looking up close and know where to look you can't see lines that easy. On mine with a $14,000 factory paint I had no choice a chip or scratch would drive me crazy...

OP
OP
broomrider

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See all the lines...Seriously unless you are looking up close and know where to look you can't see lines that easy. On mine with a $14,000 factory paint I had no choice a chip or scratch would drive me crazy...
Easy Purple. Ok so you are pro Bra :lmao: it's not out of the decision making yet. Just weighing all my options. Do you like it? Is it noticeable when you do get a nick?
BTW Beautiful ride.

Purple Haze

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No nicks yet. Just a couple bugs but they rinse right off...When the guy came here to do the install he had a nice expensive Cadillac SUV and he threw his keys on the hood hard and they skidded across it. He asked me to check it out I saw nothing...I do like it knowing it protects the expensive paint. Again you can see a few edges if you are really looking for it. Had it to many shows no one noticed it as no one asked...All sides are invisible, rockers, and whole front. Only place you could see anything is the hood but again hard to see....

Easy Purple. Ok so you are pro Bra :lmao: it's not out of the decision making yet. Just weighing all my options. Do you like it? Is it noticeable when you do get a nick?
BTW Beautiful ride.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Broom--
I totally agree with Purple Haze about the edges. I was in a car show last week with 129 other cars--I took best of show. Many commented on the car--no one noticed any edges of the X-PEL. I also am extremely anal about my cars and was hesitant about any type of clear bra. However, when I thought about the beautiful paint job I hated the thought of chips more than any hard to see edge of the X-PEL. Have fun with your beautiful car whatever you decide--Dave

Purple Haze

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly....

Broom--
I totally agree with Purple Haze about the edges. I was in a car show last week with 129 other cars--I took best of show. Many commented on the car--no one noticed any edges of the X-PEL. I also am extremely anal about my cars and was hesitant about any type of clear bra. However, when I thought about the beautiful paint job I hated the thought of chips more than any hard to see edge of the X-PEL. Have fun with your beautiful car whatever you decide--Dave

OP
OP
broomrider

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok ok guys. Bra it is. Ha! God I never thought I would say that. Anyway, I am looking into getting the XPel done. I may have to take it out of state
To get it done, which for me means trailering it to keep a scratch from happening. I'm almost at a 1,000 miles BTW.

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I have several friends with vipers who have used the clear bra's (various vendors) and have been extremely pleased with them. Since your the owner you will see the "lines" at the edges, but most likely no one else will. Unfortunately for purposes of this tread only,

I'm Pro Bra :)

OP
OP
broomrider

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update guys! My new broom is scheduled for cQuartz, clear bra and window tint. Thanks guys :cool::drive:

OP
OP
broomrider

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update! First of all Thank you to all those that encouraged me to bra! I recently had my car done, front mirrors, door handles,
Rear quarter panels and a pillars. In addition to that I had the wheels, calipers and entire car coated in cquartz. Guys I have to say
The results are phenomenal. Cleaning is a breeze.
The guy who did my car kept it a bit longer than anticipated but made up for it by powder coating my x brace and center caps. Simply
gorgeous.

Attachments

• IMG_6734.jpg
    IMG_6734.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 24

Geronimo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm considering doing my whole car. What is the prep for this or do the installers take care of it? In other words, do I wash the hell out of it?

OP
OP
broomrider

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can wash if you want but trust me when i say, your car is going to undergo things that will be a bit upsetting to most. They give it a bath to remove all the wax etc., next they begin paint correction. This eliminates swirl marks and paint imperfection among other things. Trust me when
I say the results are worth every penny spent. My car glistens now even when its not in the sunlight. I was worried about seeing the clear bra lines, only because I'm obsessive but you have to realllly be looking to see them. I had everything coated with cQuartz. The entire car, wheels and
calipers. Some opt for having the interior done as well but I didn't do that. Good Luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper