You Can't Order a New Dodge Viper Anymore by Road and Track

JANEY

VCA Member-Director MW Zone & Great Lakes Region
Venom Member
Reaction score
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/a32574/dodge-viper-sold-out/?src=social-email

You Can't Order a New Dodge Viper Anymore
Special ordering for 2017 Vipers has officially closed as the end draws near for America's V10 sports car.

BY CHRIS PERKINS
FEB 9, 2017
The Dodge Viper ends production this year. As if that news wasn't bad enough, the entire production run of model-year 2017 Vipers has completely sold out, which means that, unless Dodge performs a miracle, you'll never be able to order a new Viper ever again. We know. We're sad too.

Per a tweet from Automotive News reporter Richard Truett, FCA design boss (and confirmed Viper die-hard) Ralph Gilles announced today at the Chicago Auto Show that this year's Viper production run is officially sold out. This isn't much of a surprise considering that last year, FCA passenger-car head Tim Kuniskis said it's "really last call" for those who want a new Viper.

While you can't custom order a new Viper anymore, there are still factory-new examples on dealer lots all around the US. A quick search on Cars.com shows 39 new Vipers for sale at the time of writing, and you can expect more to hit showrooms as dealers receive the 2017 cars they've already ordered. North Carolina dealer Gerry Wood Dodge put in a huge order for 2017 Vipers, and has a number listed for sale on its website.

RELATED STORY

Viper Died Because it Ran Out of Reasons to Live
When Dodge announced the impending end of the line for the Viper last year, the automaker received a huge influx of new orders, prompting the company to temporarily halt ordering over fears of a parts shortage. Dodge also created a number of special editions as a final sendoff for the sports car, which seems to have stoked demand.

It's also worth mentioning that there's a small chance the Viper could be revived in the future, but we wouldn't recommend holding your breath. FCA boss Sergio Marchionne said a future Viper could be built on Alfa Romeo's new rear-drive Giorgio platform, which is set to underpin all future Alfas and Maseratis, as well as SUVs from Dodge and Jeep and the next-gen Dodge Challenger and Charger. Still, the Viper seems rather low on FCA's priority list, and as a specialty vehicle with a tiny but dedicated customer base, it hardly has the profit potential of a mainstream SUV or crossover.

Even with that glimmer of hope, and the fact that you can still find new Vipers on dealer lots, this is a sad day for America's greatest car. There's nothing else like the Viper, and we'll miss it.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for your post Bill. It still brings a feeling of sadness. The beginning of the end has started. It is like watching an old friend waste away with a fatal illness. Those of us who have been, and will be, fortunate enough to own and experience the Viper should be thankful that we had the chance. There will never, ever be another car like it produced by an OEM. I hope that they are planning a final Viper off the line event like we had on July 1, 2010 in Detroit when we thought that the end of the Gen IV was the end of the Viper. It is the right thing to do for such a fanatical group of followers.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will return, car manufacturers never let a successful moniker die. In what form....who knows.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I agree it will be back , but not with a monster V10 and probably not with a manual ------- likely on an Alfa chassis and dual clutch paddle shifter ( 4-6 years out ) . The name is too strong to let it lie fallow ( like the name Hemi ).

But for now , can order a few more and then it will be done!!

Purple Haze

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saving my money for a 2020 Gen VI....
I agree it will be back , but not with a monster V10 and probably not with a manual ------- likely on an Alfa chassis and dual clutch paddle shifter ( 4-6 years out ) . The name is too strong to let it lie fallow ( like the name Hemi ).

But for now , can order a few more and then it will be done!!

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't even fathom a fiat platform of Viper. It makes me sick. I hope everyone snaps up the last "real" snakes before they are gone. My hear breaks even making that statement. :(
I Will be adding that little 2 door they make to my list of vehicles to assalt with sound as I fly by. It will be joining the Prius. I assault those on the regular. :drive: