1996 RT/10 no radio sound

RobertG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OEM radio functions, but there's no sound. What should I check? Is there an amp somewhere in the car? Car is bone stock.

Rob in Columbia, SC
1996 Dodge Viper RT/10

Chris1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OEM radio functions, but there's no sound. What should I check? Is there an amp somewhere in the car? Car is bone stock.

Rob in Columbia, SC
1996 Dodge Viper RT/10

Rob: I have a '96 RT/10 as well. I'm no expert, but double check the amps in the trunk, one on each side for the front and rear speakers. The each have a 15 Amp fuse in them. Easy place to start. I'll look through my service manual to see what it says in the troubleshooting flowchart and see if anything jumps out. It initially said to check the 12V feed to the amplifier(s) and amps fuses. Also, the connections start to get dirty and dusty after time. May want to check to see if everything has a good connection.

Regards, Chris.

What color is your RT/10? I have the red with yellow wheels.

OP
OP
R

RobertG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. I found the fuses on the amps. Just had to take the top and curtains out. Right fuse was blown. Replaced it. now I can barely hear sound provided I turn it up full. Guessing at least that amp is shot.

OP
OP
R

RobertG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW, I bought the car yesterday, so I'm inventorying what's needed. Looks like it's an amp and a thumb screw for the top.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure there isn't a mute button and you might also want to make sure the AVC is turned off in the event that function on head unit has gone bad. Everything you are describing points to the amp.

OP
OP
R

RobertG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Using a mini-plug to rca adapter, along with my phone, to verify both amps work.
Now it's on to the head unit. I'll keep everyone posted.

OP
OP
R

RobertG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the radio. Only one channel is functioning, and barely at that. So, now the search for a radio commences.

OP
OP
R

RobertG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NOS '96 Viper radio arrived in the mail today. Plugged it in, and all is good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper