Paxton 2000 metal flecks on belt

ViperDad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, just reporting in on an unusual observation. My 06 has 71k miles including on the Paxton unit as it was installed new. Decided to rebuild the unit and during the removal I noticed the pulley on the Novi was rather rough. This didn't make any sense as I would have assumed a shiny grooved pulley with that much spinning in 10+ years. It seems fairly obvious that the metal flecks on the belt are coming off the pulley. The belt otherwise looks pretty good with no signs of loose fibers or cracks on the rubber when it is folded. Also of note, the idler pulley does not appear rough, thus I suspect the flecks are pulling off the resistance pulley on the Paxton.
Note: the removal is a precaution as I can discern a noise (barely) when the unit was spinning at idle. I suspect the bearings may be the cause, thus the removal.
Anyone else notice this, or opinions? I have to believe with all the apps of this unit, others may have also noticed the specks/flecks?

OP
OP
V

ViperDad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A further note on this rebuild. There is an idler pulley as seen in 5-c of the Paxton installation manual that should be inspected. The instructions have a sleeve/collar supporting the bolt on the mount plate side but the bolt-head side uses only 2 washers without a sleeve. This causes a lot of angular force (wobble) such that the washers get distorted and actually cup around the bolt-head. This should be fitted with a sleeve instead. Pretty much most idler pulleys have these sleeves to take the slack between the 3/8" bolt and the 5/8" inner bore of the bearings. I fabricated one but Paxton has it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper