Thread: Tom's 40mm brakes are BACK!

Reply to Thread
    Enthusiast

Default Tom's 40mm brakes are BACK!

Tom's 40mm brakes are back and they are as good as ever!
    The only change is they're now made by Rick.

As you may know, Toms's life got super busy and he stopped making the 40mm brakes a few years ago. I installed one of those last sets on my 2000 RT10 and I immediately approached Tom because it was too good a product to let die. So, I've taken over his business of building the best bang for the buck braking mod for all pre-ABS Vipers, and I aim to make him proud!
    I've changed nothing from Tom's design. He's given me his spares, suppliers and the knowledge to do his mod; I'm even using the same machine shop he used to machine the calipers and pistons.

I don't really need to say what these rear calipers do for the braking balance for the Gen 1/2 (non-ABS) Vipers- a forum search will say it all.
    It's a simple, hour long straight up caliper swap that allows you to use whatever stock sized pads and rotors you like, with no cutting or modifications needed on the car whatsoever. It brings the car into a near-perfect braking balance and all but eliminates the dreaded front end lock up that is the problem with these front brake heavy cars. It really is how these cars should have come from the factory.

You get a pair of ready to install 40mm modified rear calipers, rebuilt with all new rubber seals and o-rings, sandblasted and painted in hi-heat caliper paint.

The price is $800/pair shipped, exchange only. I need your old calipers sent back to me in Buffalo NY in order to keep this business going. You can send them after you've installed the new ones- so no car down time.

I have 5 sets ready to go, once they're gone I likely won't do another run until the fall.

I can also do rebuilds if you have tired or leaking 40 and original 36mm calipers.

Any questions please PM, email ricks40mm(at)hotmail.com or call/text six four seven 992 3933.

Thank you!
    Rick Schaefer

Oh, and for any Canadians here... I'm also in Toronto so I can make a great deal for you without worrying about the crappy exchange rate and cross border shipping.
    Last edited by 40mm; 03-30-2017 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Corrected email address

Enthusiast

Default Re: Tom's 40mm brakes are BACK!

I heard about these, ordered a pair. Thanks Rick!

Enthusiast

Great to hear!

Enthusiast

They're on their way Hugh! (Not sure if you got my email?)
    Thank you.

Only a couple sets left folks and I won't be doing any more until the winter.

Enthusiast

Missed the mailman, it's at the post office.

Enthusiast

There are only two sets left.... and no more for this season folks!

VCA Member
    South

What is the part # for the 40mm piston? Mine have pitted and are leaking.

Enthusiast

Hi.

No part number-they only exist after the original pistons get sleeved at the machine shop I get them made at.
    I'm not sure if they can be re-sleeved or not.

Send me an email at [email protected] and we can see what your options are.

Viper Owner

Looking forward to finally resolving horrible braking. Anyone else with a pre-ABS Viper (prior to 2001?) should jump on this while it lasts. Many thanks to Rick for his efforts in offering these again to the Viper community. Much appreciated.

VCA Member
    South

Agreed. These made a big difference in autocross.

Enthusiast

Charles got the second last set so I'm down to the last pair- for this season.
    I am planning to do a larger run this winter, but if you'd like to play this summer..... last chance!

Enthusiast

Well folks.... they're all gone for 2017!
    Apparently there was a bit of a pent up demand for them.

No worries though, they will be back for 2018!

Once I get all the cores back I'll do another run of at least 10 sets this winter.

If anyone wants to get their name onto a waiting list, just email me at ricks40mm(at)hotmail.com or text me at the number above.

Thanks to everyone who purchased a set!
    Cheers to all.
    Rick

Do these work with OE 17" wheels? And can I buy these outright without core exchange in case I want to return my '96 GTS back to full stock?

Enthusiast

Yes- they'll work with any wheels that fit your car now.
    They're just stock calipers that are internally modified to a larger bore and piston. Externally they're completely stock both physically and in appearance. Unless you pull the dust boot back on the piston you can't see the changes, and even then it's only the sleeve on the piston that's visible- and barely at that.
    I see this as a value-added addition to a Viper vs a modification. I can't imagine wanting to go back to "stock" as you already have a stock set of calipers on it; they're just modified internally. If you didn't tell anyone about them.... there is no way they'd ever know they're different.

As for the no-core option, I'm getting a good number of cores now (thank you Michael, and everyone who has returned them!) so we could discuss a price in lieu of a core return. I'm thinking about $200 would replace them on eBay.
    So let's say $800 for a set with cores and $1000 no core return.

I am however sold out for this year. I'll be doing another run this winter. And some will be red! (Wooooo.... crowd goes wild!)
    If you'd like to be put on my (zero obligation) wait list, please let me know!

Thanks for the questions and the interest.
    Cheers, Rick
    1-647-992-3933

Viper Owner

It's been a couple months now since install and I have one big reget, WHY DIDN'T I DO THIS MUCH MUCH SOONER!!! Previously the car was so front brake heavy it would pull nose down hard when braking. Also, the rear brakes barely did any work at all. This was evidenced by the heavy brake dust always on the front wheels and almost no dust on the back wheels. I would typically downshift to assist in braking. I still can't believe Dodge let the car leave the factory with this braking design.

Since installing Tom's 40mm brakes, the car is totally transformed from a braking perspective. The back brakes now share the load and I am able to brake with more confidence. Also, due to this distribution, I no longer get massive brake dust buildup on the front wheels. Also went with Hawk brake pads which I love.

Bottomline - If you have a pre-ABS viper, 2001 or earlier, contact Rick right now and get on the list. You will not be disappointed. Rick was super awesome to work with and I appreciate him bringing these back to the Viper community. Thanks Rick!!!