Mouse nest in engine :-(

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well for the first time in over a decade of winter storage, a mouse (or several) got past my defenses and set up shop in my engine ('94). The area in between my cylinder banks is now chock full of stuff (mostly acorn husks) and the giveaway droppings on either side. It's about 2" deep the entire length of the engine, not just a few scattered pieces.

How do I clean this out? I did a search and one guy had a similar problem, but most of the thread concentrated on how to prevent mice. Well I'm a day late and a dollar short there. Luckily all my rubber seems ok although I'll have my mechanic check it. If I get a tiny enough shopvac attachment, I might be able to get some of it out, but the acorns are about as big across as the gap between the manifold pipes. Some suggested flush it out with water or blow it out, but the alternator is right there blocking the front and there seems to be a wall in the back; the debris doesn't seem to have many places to go. Removing the manifold seems like a lot of trouble, and isn't there a gasket I'd have to replace? Would I even be able to get one? I'm even hesitant to drive it as I don't want all this stuff catching fire.

Any suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ended up attaching a paper towel roll tube to the end of my shop vac. The cardboard tube was stiff enough to hold its shape, yet pliable enough to get in between the manifold pipes. She's all clean now, and will get a checkup at the mechanic to make sure no rubber was nibbled.

OP
OP
M

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adding a note in case anyone is interested- there are metal cross-braces in between the cylinder banks, each about 2" high, that will trap water in there if you try and flush it out with water. My aforementioned shop-vac hack worked well to get most of it, then the compressed air hose at the garage got the rest. Good as new now.