Ignition switch wire color?

Dr. Pepper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm installing a start button in my 94 and want it wired so you will turn the key on and then push the start button to start the car. You will also still be able to start it by just turning the key should the button ever fail. I did this to my 65 Mustang but the wiring was much easier to trace and figure out. I have the wiring diagrams but wanted to see if anyone could confirm which wires (color and best location to connect to it- coming from the ignition probably ?) that I need to tie into. The start button has one lead which will go to a "hot with key on" wire (so the button won't work unless the key is on) and the other lead goes to the ignition wire that would activate the starter. Thanks for any info that will save me lots of time.........

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just tap into the correct wires. I suggest using a Posi-Tap instead of an actual wire tap, less damage. I cant tell you which one is which though, sorry.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure someone here can help you, but one thing I have learned watching many movies is do not cut the blue wire.

Geronimo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm installing a start button in my 94 and want it wired so you will turn the key on and then push the start button to start the car. You will also still be able to start it by just turning the key should the button ever fail. I did this to my 65 Mustang but the wiring was much easier to trace and figure out. I have the wiring diagrams but wanted to see if anyone could confirm which wires (color and best location to connect to it- coming from the ignition probably ?) that I need to tie into. The start button has one lead which will go to a "hot with key on" wire (so the button won't work unless the key is on) and the other lead goes to the ignition wire that would activate the starter. Thanks for any info that will save me lots of time.........
Go to the Viper Garage web site. "How to section" page 7, Push button install

OP
OP
Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info- the Viper Garage looks like it shows the two wires (red & yellow) I'll need and I think I'll use those Wire Taps- (never saw them before...)and the 30 amp relay. I'm installing the button in the cigarette lighter hole and will mount an aftermarket lighter receptacle under the dash somewhere out of sight should I ever need to plug in my phone etc lighter. This way I don't have to cut a hole in the dash and can easily remove the push start if I wanted.

Geronimo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info- the Viper Garage looks like it shows the two wires (red & yellow) I'll need and I think I'll use those Wire Taps- (never saw them before...)and the 30 amp relay. I'm installing the button in the cigarette lighter hole and will mount an aftermarket lighter receptacle under the dash somewhere out of sight should I ever need to plug in my phone etc lighter. This way I don't have to cut a hole in the dash and can easily remove the push start if I wanted.
You're welcome.I did it exactly how they did cause it was my wife's car at the time and that's what she wanted. Cig lighter spot is a good choice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper