Interior Door Lock/Unlock Switch Light Stays On

Vpr898

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, the title of the post sums it up. The little amber light on the interior door lock/unlock switch stays on while the car is parked, all the time. I'm sure this isn't a feature, but I can't seem to find any information on it. Any tips, explanations, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Todd

(1996 GTS ~9,000 miles)

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Two things commonly cause this: Low voltage in failing battery...and, sadly, an EEM that is defective. Does your alarm still work? What is the voltage reading by digital multimeter of your battery?

OP
OP
Vpr898

Vpr898

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't recognize the EEM abbreviation but it sounds like expensive electronics :( Oh boy

So the battery is brand new, replaced last fall. I did notice a slight drain while parked for extended periods of time. So there's a draw somewhere. I tried to follow the diagnostic steps in the service manual to identify a responsible system, but no luck (or no skill haha).

The alarm does function properly.

OP
OP
Vpr898

Vpr898

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you, Steve. It was a pleasure speaking with you. I was able to finally determine that the switch detecting hood closure wasn't registering a closed hood. I corrected that issue and the lock light now goes off. And my battery drain issue seems to be a thing of the past!