Alignment issue.

Gen2man

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 97 coupe went on the alignment rack for the first time in November of 2015. It was at a dealer and the Viper tech is the only one besides me to turn a wrench on the car.
The sport shims were pulled and the front toe was reset, plus the right rear was adjusted to correct a toe out condition. Still had tons of push so six months later went back and had it set for more negative camber. LF -2.0, RF -2.0, LR -1.0, RR -1.0
Handling was much improved. After about 80 autocross runs I went to a local tire store that has the same alignment equipment and it was LF -2.5, RF -1.6, LR -1.2, RR -0.7. I considered adjusting it but when the boss' son came at it with a wrench I chickened out. Not looking to give someone a "learning experience".
So, I'm wondering what happened. If the cam locknuts were loose I expect neg. camber to increase on both sides. I'm thinking maybe the nuts were torqued without the cars weight on the wheels by the Vipertech. Or is it common for the alignment to change this much after a season of autocrossing? I have an appointment at a highly recommended alignment shop but it's a two hour drive unfortunately.

Last edited:

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Or the skill of the person using the equipment was not on par with the Viper Tech

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my Mazda 6 aligned twice within two weeks cause it kept pulling left. Turns out the left front was 0.6 out and the same tech did it both times. Sometimes things happen.

OP
OP
G

Gen2man

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Or the skill of the person using the equipment was not on par with the Viper Tech

That was my first thought so I used a ruler and my 18" level which is perfect for 17" rims. Left side of the car has more negative camber.
Also the Viper tech said "you can't check rear caster". I guess he forgot about the special tool and fixture. He also overfilled my oil by half quart and under filled my cooling sys. So Custom Alignment or Roger Kraus Racing for me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4