Thread: 1995 Viper with 66k miles

Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Franklin, Ma.
    Posts
    9

    Default 1995 Viper with 66k miles

    Hello,

    I am looking at purchasing a 1995 Dodge Viper with 66k miles on it. I wanted to see if anyone could advise me on what to look out for with the car. I also wanted to find out what I should pay for it 66k is a lot of miles but the car seems to be very well maintained and in very good condition and is original other than the stereo with the original windows and top.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    VCA Member
    UT/AZ

    Join Date
    Oct 1995
    Posts
    757

    Default Re: 1995 Viper with 66k miles

    95 was a good year for the gen1 cars, I had one, never had a problem. I have heard some needed head gaskets. I beat the hell out of mine and was fine.

  3. #3
    VCA Member
    South


    Free2go's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3,274

    Default Re: 1995 Viper with 66k miles

    Maybe worth $26k
    Supercharged 96 GTS

  4. #4
    VCA Member
    Midwest
    MoparMap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,264

    Default Re: 1995 Viper with 66k miles

    Yeah, unless it looks like it's been through the ringer, I wouldn't worry about mileage. I have almost 109,000 on my 04 and it still runs like the day I bought it. Sitting around is typically harder on a car than driving it regularly.

  5. #5
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Franklin, Ma.
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: 1995 Viper with 66k miles

    Quote Originally Posted by MoparMap View Post
    Yeah, unless it looks like it's been through the ringer, I wouldn't worry about mileage. I have almost 109,000 on my 04 and it still runs like the day I bought it. Sitting around is typically harder on a car than driving it regularly.
    Yes I get concerned with extremely low mileage vehicles because they still need to be maintained and I worry about someone not doing an oil change for like 5 years and then driving the car and damaging the engine. How can I check the head gasket what should I look for on the engine? I think one way might be to see if the oil temp is very high with the gauge in the car but figured I would ask.
    Last edited by pieceofchum; 06-02-2017 at 08:33 PM.

  6. #6
    VCA Member
    Gulf States

    broomrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,395

    Default Re: 1995 Viper with 66k miles

    When a car sits for long periods of time it can cause a number of issues. I would worry less about mileage and look at body fit, engine bay
    etc.

  7. #7
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Franklin, Ma.
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: 1995 Viper with 66k miles

    Yes I am going to do that. Going to check out the car this Sunday. I have to find a knowledgeable mechanic in New England to inspect it if I like it.

  8. #8
    VCA Member
    Midwest
    MoparMap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,264

    Default Re: 1995 Viper with 66k miles

    Quote Originally Posted by pieceofchum View Post
    Yes I get concerned with extremely low mileage vehicles because they still need to be maintained and I worry about someone not doing an oil change for like 5 years and then driving the car and damaging the engine. How can I check the head gasket what should I look for on the engine? I think one way might be to see if the oil temp is very high with the gauge in the car but figured I would ask.
    On the early cars your best best is just looking for coolant dripping down the sides of the block. They had paper style head gaskets that would soak through with coolant over time and can start leaking. Doesn't mean they are leaking into the cylinders or "bad" in the same sense as a blown head gasket necessaryily, but it makes good sense to replace them. If you do end up buying it, I would just change all the fluids as your first item of business. I swapped all the oils (engine, trans, diff) and put new plugs in my car after I bought it just so I knew where I was starting so I could begin my records from that point.

  9. #9
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Franklin, Ma.
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: 1995 Viper with 66k miles

    I checked this car out tonight and there were a few issues. The price is firm at $24,900. The tires are bald and need to be replaced right away. The leather is cracked on the side bolsters of the driver's seat. There are some paint chips and a couple of minor body imperfections. The black coating on the inside of the trunk is pealing off and is quite bad not sure how that can be fixed. Everything else is very good not sure though that the value is there for the price. I think for a 1995 Viperr with 66k miles where the owner is asking 24,900 that it would be in just a little better shape and have tires with at least some tread. Looking for thought from others on the price with these issues. Also there was a layer of grease all over the engine I wonder if this is a sign of gasket failure. I did want to find out if anyone knows anything about corrosion on the brake booster I have a picture of that from the car I am looking at that shows it.

    20170608_181901.jpg20170608_181901.jpg

    I also noticed the following pealing in the trunk and wanted to get some feedback on it.

    20170608_180520.jpg20170608_180520.jpg

    Any information on these issues would be helpful and much appreciated thanks
    Last edited by pieceofchum; 06-09-2017 at 07:03 PM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: 1995 Viper with 66k miles

    Quote Originally Posted by pieceofchum View Post
    I checked this car out tonight and there were a few issues. The price is firm at $24,900. The tires are bald and need to be replaced right away. The leather is cracked on the side bolsters of the driver's seat. There are some paint chips and a couple of minor body imperfections. The black coating on the inside of the trunk is pealing off and is quite bad not sure how that can be fixed. Everything else is very good not sure though that the value is there for the price. I think for a 1995 Viperr with 66k miles where the owner is asking 24,900 that it would be in just a little better shape and have tires with at least some tread. Looking for thought from others on the price with these issues. Also there was a layer of grease all over the engine I wonder if this is a sign of gasket failure. I did want to find out if anyone knows anything about corrosion on the brake booster I have a picture of that from the car I am looking at that shows it.

    Attachment 33110Attachment 33110

    I also noticed the following pealing in the trunk and wanted to get some feedback on it.

    Attachment 33111Attachment 33111

    Any information on these issues would be helpful and much appreciated thanks
    I bought a '94 with 33k miles for $28,000 and some change (and I'm in Maine, hi neighbor). My trunk is doing a little bit of the chipping here and there, but not sure about the brake booster...mine is actually quite clean. Maybe it was left out in the rain, was somewhere moist? Northern east coast isn't always the best on cars

    -Travis
    getupandgo.blog

Similar Threads

  1. 1995 viper rt/10 a/c freon
    By rusty96 in forum RT/10 and GTS Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-13-2014, 08:10 PM
  2. My 1995 Viper
    By pollard4286 in forum RT/10 and GTS Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-27-2013, 01:43 PM
  3. 1995 viper
    By Mike Adams in forum RT/10 and GTS Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-01-2007, 04:51 PM
  4. Best way to store 1995 Viper
    By John's 1995 Venom 550 in forum RT/10 and GTS Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2005, 10:41 PM
  5. Value Of 1995 With Only 9 Miles????
    By Jason-Middle Tennessee in forum RT/10 and GTS Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-05-2001, 09:48 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts