Lifter noise

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
So my car recently started making more valvetrain noise than I remember in the past 60,000 miles. It's quiet at idle, but at lower rpm (maybe around 1500) it sounds like one lifter is really tapping badly. Not sure if it goes away at higher rpm as I don't think I can hear it over the exhaust. It's also mostly only noticeable when the engine is cold or when I'm driving at low load and low speed like 30 mph in 3rd gear and nearly no throttle. I'm really not wanting to pull the entire head just to replace a lifter, but if it has to be done it has to be done. Any other suggestions for what might be going on? I need to drain the coolant anyway, so I figured if I'm going to have to pull a head it's easier to do both at the same time.

I know these cars are notorious for valvetrain noise, and I've heard the sewing machine chugging away under the hood in the past, but I don't recall it ever being this pronounced or focused to a certain operating condition. If I free rev it while listening close under the hood it doesn't sound like any one lifter stands out. It only seems to want to do it under some kind of load.

OP
OP
MoparMap

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I run a good 70-75 psi cold and 50 psi hot idle. Hot with any rpm and it's right back up around 70.