Thread: Speedometer with water drip (mark) behind glass

Reply to Thread
    Viper Owner

Default Speedometer with water drip (mark) behind glass

Just got a new (to me) 2005 Convertible and love it!!! It looks like someone sprayed too much water onto the dash in cleaning it in the past. There is a water drip down the middle of the speedometer glass on the "back side of the glass." It really bugs me.

I know how to remove everything around the radio and get to the point to remove the dash panel above the steering column. However, before I do that, can anyone help me understand if it is possible for me to just get it loose and then reach inside to clean
    the glass from the back side "without" having to remove the dash panel and or remove or take apart the speedometer?

It looks like the glass is attached to the dash panel and not the speedometer itself - is that true?

If so, I should be able to reach it by just getting it lose (and not trying to remove the dash panel and risk cracking or breaking it)....

Has anyone done that?

Thanks

Viper Owner

Default Re: Speedometer with water drip (mark) behind glass

Ok - got it fixed today. Took me about 2 hours. Had to totally remove the dash panel. The "glass" is actually a plastic shield that covers all the gauges behind the steering wheel. It is held in by 3 screws and 3 plastic clips. You can only get behind it by taking everything off. Got it cleaned up - lots of dust and the water spots. Looks great now. Assembly was a piece of cake. You have to flex the dash a bit and that is scary - but got it done. No scratches, no cracks, no damage at all. Whew.....

VCA Member
    Midwest

Yeah, that's a pretty big unwieldy piece to work with. I've had mine out a few times trying to hunt down some squeaks and rattles and to update the lighting. Not a terribly hard job, just one of those things where you have to take a lot apart to get to one piece. Glad you got it fixed!

Viper Owner

id be worried about why there was a spot there in the first place