Speedometer with water drip (mark) behind glass

Osopolar

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just got a new (to me) 2005 Convertible and love it!!! It looks like someone sprayed too much water onto the dash in cleaning it in the past. There is a water drip down the middle of the speedometer glass on the "back side of the glass." It really bugs me.

I know how to remove everything around the radio and get to the point to remove the dash panel above the steering column. However, before I do that, can anyone help me understand if it is possible for me to just get it loose and then reach inside to clean
the glass from the back side "without" having to remove the dash panel and or remove or take apart the speedometer?

It looks like the glass is attached to the dash panel and not the speedometer itself - is that true?

If so, I should be able to reach it by just getting it lose (and not trying to remove the dash panel and risk cracking or breaking it)....

Has anyone done that?

Thanks

OP
OP
O

Osopolar

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok - got it fixed today. Took me about 2 hours. Had to totally remove the dash panel. The "glass" is actually a plastic shield that covers all the gauges behind the steering wheel. It is held in by 3 screws and 3 plastic clips. You can only get behind it by taking everything off. Got it cleaned up - lots of dust and the water spots. Looks great now. Assembly was a piece of cake. You have to flex the dash a bit and that is scary - but got it done. No scratches, no cracks, no damage at all. Whew.....

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a pretty big unwieldy piece to work with. I've had mine out a few times trying to hunt down some squeaks and rattles and to update the lighting. Not a terribly hard job, just one of those things where you have to take a lot apart to get to one piece. Glad you got it fixed!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper