Spare Key for RT/10

ViperDefender

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I need some Viper expertise: I got spare key cut for my '94 RT/10, but it doesn't work. I went back to the people who cut it and told them it doesn't work, and they told me that the there is a probably a chip in the key. Is that the case? So far my research points to no, but I thought I'd pose the question to people who know what they're talking about.

Thanks!
-Travis

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
No chip...wrong blank or poor technique. Look at the both working and non-working keys...Match?? If they look the same, look for burrs to hone down.

Or, go to your dealer with proof of ownership and have them cut key using VIN.

OP
OP
ViperDefender

ViperDefender

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No chip...wrong blank or poor technique. Look at the both working and non-working keys...Match?? If they look the same, look for burrs to hone down.

Or, go to your dealer with proof of ownership and have them cut key using VIN.

Yeah, sorry I didn't specify, but both keys do appear to match, which is partly why I thought I'd ask about the chip. I'll take a closer look for burrs.

nmp1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
steve is correct. i got a spare back up key cut at lowes for my 2001 and it works fine.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try pulling the new back out slightly and see if it turns. Do this gently. Most places don't line the depth up correctly.

OP
OP
ViperDefender

ViperDefender

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try pulling the new back out slightly and see if it turns. Do this gently. Most places don't line the depth up correctly.

Thanks, I will try that as well. I did notice while comparing keys that the fronts do look nearly identical, but from the side some of the depths/plunges don't line up very well.

OP
OP
ViperDefender

ViperDefender

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys, just to bring some closure this thread--I got the key recut, and it works! The guys tried arguing with me a bit that it must have been a chip key, but thanks to your help and insight, I was able to tell them otherwise...so they recut it and now it works, so thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper