Thread: 1994 R/T Starting Issues

Reply to Thread
    Viper Owner

Default 1994 R/T Starting Issues

I recently swapped out the battery in my 94 R/T (Optima Red Top) and after driving 50 miles to work, wont restart. I thought I might have had a bad battery so I bought a new one to swap
    it out in order to get my car home. After doing so, it started right up. Next morning I get up to take the old battery back to the parts store, the car starts right up and when I get ready to
    leave the parts store, dead car again. This time I just unhooked the negative cable and hooked it back up and it started. I'm guessing this has something to do with the factory alarm....
    is there a way to fix this without taking it to a dealer? I don't really trust the local dealer with this car so any help would be appreciated!

VCA Member
    Gateway

Default Re: 1994 R/T Starting Issues

My first guess that you have a problem with the cables at the battery...such as some/many of the strands of wires may be broken at the connectors due to out gassing around the terminals. There are new connectors available at most parts stores.
    Alarm shutdown does not come and go.
    I don't do "PM's" and I NEVER read "visitor messages" since I prefer DIRECT communication.

VCA Member
    Gateway

Well, this usually requires a dialog, but as that is not happening thus far...other thoughts include a problem with the small positive wire off of the battery which feeds fuel pump, wires at starter, and faulty ignition switch.
    I don't do "PM's" and I NEVER read "visitor messages" since I prefer DIRECT communication.

Viper Owner

Sorry for the late reply...I haven't been at my computer. I will check the cables again and see if anything is loose up the chain. I'm not sure if this matters but I couldn't jump start the car either. The battery was reading over 13 volts but went to 0 when trying to start it. After trying to start it and turning the key off, the alarm would arm itself without me doing it. I just got the car and I'm trying to work out the bugs. I appreciate the help and will try and monitor this forum closer for replies.

VCA Member
    Gateway

Feel free to call me so that we can attempt to narrow down the causes. Sequence of events and interpretation of same are paramount. 317-402-9013

Viper Owner

Thanks...I'll try and give you a call tonight if I get off work early enough!

VCA Member
    UT/AZ

Its your terminals at the cables.

Viper Owner

I looked at both cables and they seem to look ok except the negative side has a burn mark on the screw where it looks like it may have arched. I replaced the screw so we'll see how it goes now. Thanks for the suggestions.