Need HELP with my 94.Please

viperman4125

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To those who work on Vipers,
The short of it;

Was driving to a Viper Car show in Fl, yesterday, got stuck in heavy stopped traffic, When the Thermostat was way over to the danger Zone,
Pulled over to cool, when i noticed the Cooling fan was not on. I let the car cool, after traffic was done I drove home.

Ok, so as i did research, IF it's the Module to the fan , there are none anywhere. Fan motors are seem to be plentiful.

What is the best advice ??

Thanks
Dave

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't know anyone in your area, I would call JonB at ViperPartsRack. He'll know who's in your area and where to source parts.

OP
OP
V

viperman4125

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did talk with John B. He told me to burp the system, did that, didn't work. I put alligator clips on the fan, with power from the battery,the fan works fine ?
I changed the relay for the Fan's and nothing ?
The fan will not turn on ? when Thermostat is hot ?
Should i try to change the Engine coolant temp? Sensor ????
Dave

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yeah, another quick thing you can check would be to get a little IR temp gun and shoot the upper radiator hose when the gauge reads hot to see what it thinks "hot" is. That would help to determine if the sensor is reading funny or not. Could very well be the car is never actually getting that hot, the sensor is just starting to drift. Otherwise it sounds like maybe the computer could have a bad transistor that won't trigger the fan anymore. My dad just had this happen on a Dodge Stealth with the fuel pump. The pump and relay were fine, but the transistor in the ECU had gone and wasn't triggering the system anymore.

OP
OP
V

viperman4125

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did talk with John B. He told me to burp the system, did that, didn't work. I put alligator clips on the fan, with power from the battery,the fan works fine ?
I changed the relay for the Fan's and nothing ?
The fan will not turn on ? when Thermostat is hot ?
Should i try to change the Engine coolant temp? Sensor ????
Dave
Ok,
Here is where I am at now.
After talking with Indy -Steve and Jon B is / was very helpful with FREE information btw,
I ended up replacing the Coolant Temp sensor and which was a bi--tch to get too, that's when i discovered that one of the bypass hose was going bad, is when I called Jon B to buy a set. not cheap.

I filled the tank with coolant, and the recovery bottle up as well, burbled it the best that i could, started the car, the temp when up, the FAN CAME ON!! YIPPEE! THAT WAS MY GOAL.

IT WAS THE COOLANT SENSOR AFTER ALL. TY TO ALL FOR THIS HELP!

However NOW the temp gauge is reading in the yellow, I'm letting the car cool, going to burb it again.
Q: How do i get all of that air out now.

OP
OP
V

viperman4125

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all!

Bottom line, had to replace 2 relays and cooling sensor and brub the system at least 5 times. Run, re-fill, cool down, 5 times.
My baby is all good now!
Dave

seniorstorekeeper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 93 Viper was doing the same thing, in traffic or just sitting there would get hot, noticed the cooling fan was just barely turning or not at all, just took a long wooden handle out of a broom and tapped the fan motor 4 or 5 times, it broke it loose and has been working for the last 8 months. Guess it does this from sitting so long and not running, brushes in motor will stick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper