Weird clutch pedal feeling in '00 GTS

Yamajee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new here and hope to get help regarding an issue I'm facing with my '00 GTS.

I was cruising and while I was shifting into sixth gear, I heard sort of a small metal piece hitting the front left wheel well and then falling onto the ground, ignored it as it might have been something on the road. Then, I started to feel like my clutch pedal is sort of grinding whenever I'm releasing the clutch pedal.
It's not the grinding noise coming from a bad throw-out bearing, neither do I feel like it has anything to do with the clutch itself but rather the linkage, primary/slave cylinder, etc. I have read up about different clutch pedal issues in Gen 1 and Gen 2 Vipers and also know about the infamous birdcage bushing problem but I can assure you the symptoms are not the same for me.

If I release the clutch very slowly, the grinding sensation is not there (moving from a complete stop) but if I'm shifting from second to third for example and releasing the clutch at a faster rate, I can feel it happening right where the clutch engages. Sometimes I feel like the clutch pedal even gets stuck.

I'd be very surprised if it's a clutch cylinder issue as the car has about 8,000 miles only.

Unfortunately I have tried every way of going in the foot-well area and looking for anything in the linkage but I couldn't.

Thanks!

Last edited:

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I wouldn't be too sure about low mileage not being concerning. 8000 miles in 17 years of life is not even 500 miles a year. That's barely two tanks of gas. Sitting around is often harder on a car than being driving regularly as the seals can dry out and if not exercised could crack. It's a fully hydraulic setup, so there isn't really any linkage to speak of aside from the rod connecting the master cylinder to the pedal. I supopse it's possible that connection is grinding, but I can't recall if the rod actually has a bearing in it or just a clevis and pin. Otherwise I think it sounds like it would have to be internal to the master cylinder. Not much else to the system.