2008 Coupe Brakes: Stoptech AeroRotor DRK vs. OEM 2008-2010 ACR Rotor

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m looking to upgrade my rotors with ACR style 2 piece slotted Stoptech rotors. I know the Mopar ones are available but seem rather expensive (2x the cost of comparable options).

Does anyone have experience with these StopTech kits?
P/N: 81.263.9911 (front)
P/N: 81.263.9912 (rear)

I know from this thread it seems they aren’t EXACTLY the same as the ACR rotors.

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/608125-Question-for-Chris-Marshall-VCA-re-ACR-Rotors

Difference seems to be the corrosion protection coating (non-zinc plated) and perhaps some minor mechanical changes. Any disadvantages to these particular parts?

How do these compare to OEM and the ST DRK?

And last but not least, are these a direct bolt on replacement to the OEM 2008 coupe rotors?

Thanks!

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The link you posted from Parts Rack is the correct ACR rotor but as you noted two slight differences from the ones StopTech puts on the ACR's.

ACR versions have a silver/gold hat and these have a black hat. Not sure about the corrosion protection but I see it is different, maybe so the people who never drive there car have shiney rotors?

The Parts Rack rotors perform exactly as the ACR versions, and as you've said much cheaper. Ask Jon about the corrosion protection, he'll know and I would think it is cosmetic only.

These are a direct swap, wait to you feel the weight difference. They are directional, make sure you put them on the correct wheel. While your at it might want to go with their stainless steel lines, Jon probably sells the set of 4 for $225?.

Also, keep in mind that Jon sells the replacemnt rotor rings for about $200 less a pair. If you're tracking hard you'll need to replace them down the road and the ring kit is very easy to do. Talk to Jon, he knows his stuff. good luck, Mike

OP
OP
S

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

Thanks for the information. I already have the stainless lines from Jon ready to install. The upgrade list “while I’m working on the brakes” keeps growing…

GTSR -

Alcon rotors or the entire package?

Bristolrover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get the rings blanch ground, ( I think that's how they call it), in southern cal..I've developed a shimmy when first appling brakes at speed..Checked with dial indicator and found .005 runout on r/h front. Thanks

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
In answer to your question, the Stoptech rotor rings are the same, the "hats" are black instead of silver / gold.

Any corrosion protection on rotor rings is gone pretty fast, like after a few hard stops!

As Mike says above, you can change just the "rings" and re-use the hats with new hardware.

If you are a serious track guy, there are always the Brembo front rotors available in both the OE size and the ACR X size. While these cost a bit more, they seem to last longer.

If you are a street and occasional track guy, the OE Stoptechs are just fine.

Dan

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the Stoptech versions on my 2006 and do some track as well as street. They have performed great without any problems.

lmcgrew79

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Depends on usage, if using on track alot no need to worry abou the zinc plating on the rings. The hats are black, mine now look kinda anodized, im on my second set of rings. I think the stock acr hats look and hold up better from what i have seen, but that is just my opinion.

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree my hats are also a bit discolored but that is part of the anodizing process, they tend to fade a bit with the heat and uv rays.
Just keep them covered in brake dust and no one will notice

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a difference with the rotors. Even though the rust corrosion will burn away after a few short usage, it doesnt where it counts, under the hat itself. I ran a set and was getting rust under the hat where it bolts to the rotor itself. Was unsightly to say the least.... Make sure you spend the extra money on the coating if you are worry about the look also.

OP
OP
S

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wanted to close the loop here with what I learned:

The DRK (now called ARK, which stands for "AeroRotor Replacement Kit") part numbers you listed below are correct for your 2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10 coupe.  Optional zinc plating is available.

The zinc plating protects the non-swept portions of the AeroRotors from surface corrosion and prevents that rust "ring of shame" in the area between the aluminum hats and the bottom of the swept portion of the rotors.  It also provides a sacrificial barrier that delays the onset of corrosion between hats and the rotors, particularly in high salt or acidic environments.  Unless you're tracking the car HARD (e.g., slicks and race pads), the zinc plating should provide protection.  But if you're running in Advanced or Instructor run groups, the zinc plating will eventually burn off.  In that case, you're better off ordering the standard rotors.

Another difference between the StopTech ARK and the OEM ACR rotors is the final finish on the hats.  The StopTech ARK uses a hard anodized finish, while the OEM ACR rotors have a natural anodized finish, the same one used on StopTech Trophy big brake kits for both hats and calipers.

This finish is impervious to discoloration from extreme heat.  The black, hard anodized hats can fade somewhat under heavy racing conditions.  At this time, a natural anodized finish is not available for the Viper ARK hats from StopTech.

Other than finish, there are no mechanical differences.

OP
OP
S

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ended up going with the zinc coated rotors which seems well suited to how I'll use them. The hats can always be refinished if they start to look bad.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you track your car hard then I have found the Brembo Rotor and Hat combination will cool better and last longer under extreme conditons. These rotors will save you 7pds per wheel, which is a pound more than the ST's, so they cool better with less mass. They are a little less than double the price but will last 2 times longer. I am a big ST fan and worked with them on the initial development for the Viper, but the Brembo stuff is the Rolex of Rotors.

My 2 cents.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you say Brembo rotors, are you referring to the ACR-X rotors?

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you track your car hard then I have found the Brembo Rotor and Hat combination will cool better and last longer under extreme conditons. These rotors will save you 7pds per wheel, which is a pound more than the ST's, so they cool better with less mass. They are a little less than double the price but will last 2 times longer. I am a big ST fan and worked with them on the initial development for the Viper, but the Brembo stuff is the Rolex of Rotors.

My 2 cents.

But what if we can only afford the "timex" of rotors?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala